Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Fungal infection?

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I took Marley out for lap time tonight and noticed right away that something was wrong with her nose. It wasn't there the last time I had lap time with her but I've had the flu so that was about a week and a half ago (I've been staying away from lap time just in case)

I took a picture and you can see where it looks like her nose was bleeding at some point though it's not at the moment.

We have a call into the vet but it doesn't look like we can get her in tonight. We will go in tomorrow but can anyone think of something else this could be? Also a price range would be helpful if you know how much your vet charges to treat a fungal infection.

Thanks!

photobucket-53653-1361234218487_zps7a541d07.jpg

MummyOf5Piggies

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure that's a fungal infection, one of my girls had fungal infection and just lost her hair ( little patches), after looking it up i found cream, called Canesten. And the hair grew back a few weeks later. But by what your saying with the bleeding, i don't think that's it, its good that you are taking your piggie to the vet to see what's going on with her nose. c:

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Well we aren't taking her tonight. The man we talked to (not our usual exotics but works at the same clinic) tried to convince us to do laser therapy and then said that he had never heard of a guinea pig having fungas on their nose before, of course as he is saying this I am looking at guinea lynx at at least 2 pictures of guinea pigs with fungus on their noses so I know thats not true.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Well, it almost looks like rain rot or mites. Horses get it. My horse has a MAJOR mite problem on his tail and its really making me mad because Chevy(horse) is NOT coopewrating with the treatment! We use Ivermecting and Pet Dust. I am no vet so it could be something else.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Eh we've had our fair share of mites in this house but it's never been like this before. The white spots are what really makes me think it's fungal.

I've never heard of rain rot before but I'll look into that.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can probably treat it yourself -- see http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html. The main thing to be careful of is to rub the medicine in well with a Q-tip so the pig won't ingest it when it's washing its face. Also, if it is a fungus, it will be very contagious, so wash your hands carefully after handling this pig, and watch any other pigs you've got to make sure they don't come down with it.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I knew about the contagious part. I jumped on Matt when he touched it and he thought I was crazy until I told him it could spread. DX

He went out and got some medication for it. We are moving Marley and her cage mate into the bedroom just to be sure and washing our hands even more then normal. Gidget seems to have a tiny little thing on her nose. It doesn't look like what Marley has (yet. It looks more like a little pimple and I will be keeping a VERY close eye on it.) but I was thinking we might as well treat it so if it is the same we can stop it before it gets worse. Would their been any reason to wait?

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Rain rot is when the skin get dry then wet then dry then wet , like dry rot with leather.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Well, it almost looks like rain rot or mites. Horses get it. My horse has a MAJOR mite problem on his tail and its really making me mad because Chevy(horse) is NOT coopewrating with the treatment! We use Ivermecting and Pet Dust. I am no vet so it could be something else.

Guinea pigs don't get rain rot. Rain rot is caused by a fungus-like organism that is thought to reside in soil.

Yes, that looks like fungus to me. I'd treat it like bpatters suggests.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Matt went out and picked up the medication treated by the vet earlier this evening. He said to use it twice a day so we will see. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks everyone!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.