Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Fungal Infection?

Kota12

Cavy Slave
Hi Everyone! I got my new piggy about three days ago and just discovered that he has some type of fungus on the bottom of his eye, behind his ear, and behind the top of his head. I could only get a picture of the one behind the top of his head because he just was too fussy. I've been putting Lotrimin on it until I get him to the vet. The one on his eye cleared up overnight.
Securedownload

Securedownload2

Could this be a fungal infection or what? What else can I put on it so it can heal quicker? Is in contagious? Thanks!

Attachments

securedownload.jpg securedownload2.jpg

Kota12

Cavy Slave
I went to the vet this afternoon and he recommended Monistat. I went and bought Monistat 3. Is this alright? He wasn't as clear as I wanted him to be since they could only fit me in right before closing time and he wasn't a very cavy savy vet. I've already been putting Lotrimin and it really hasn't had an effect at all.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It doesn't look like fungal to me...Looks more like mites or bite marks.

Kota12

Cavy Slave
He also had something on his eye, but Lotrimin actually cleared that up a bit.

Slipperytofu

Cavy Slave
If it's a fungal infection, it is contagious. It would be ringworm, which people are susceptible to.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
It does kind of look like ringworm. Or a bite mark. Wash your hands every time after you handle him just to be safe.

Kota12

Cavy Slave
Okay, I went to another vet today and he did a skin scraping (which I wouldn't recommend but my mom didn't know this morning when she took him in) and did not find any mites. The vet said that sometimes babies get a vitamin deficiency so he cleans it up, and he prescribed oxbow's daily C supplement.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
No, it doesn't look like a mites thing to me. Even though skin scrapings are notorious for being wrong.

However, I don't think that it has anything to do with a vitamin deficiency. It seems to be something some vets say when they aren't sure what the problem is. Go ahead and give the supplement, lots of people supplement with C.

Did you continue with the fungal cream? Is the spot getting bigger? Is he a crested guinea pig, and is that spot where his crest is?

Kota12

Cavy Slave
I did continue with the cream, the spot wasn't getting bigger nor was it healing. No, he is not a crested piggy.