Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Fuming, need to rant

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Just a few minutes ago I was showing (broken link removed) to someone, and she proceeded to tell me how offended she was. I asked why, and she basically said that nothing is wrong with pet stores and that one must just be a bad one. I explained that, no, they're pretty much all like this, but she continued to DEFEND the pet stores.

What gets me is that she WORKED at a PetSmart! I asked if their pets were kept in those tiny aquariums, with as many as 6 per "cage", and yes, they were. She didn't see the problem with that, though. And what did her magical perfect store do with the extra stock?

I even remember her saying when she worked there how often people would come back and complain about how their pet had died. Clearly not the store's fault! Even if her store somehow wasn't very bad (sounds like it was anyway), pretty much all the rest of them are. I mean, animals are products to them, not living creatures.

I wanted to ask her if she just did not see what was going on around her, but she went the immature route and removed herself from the conversation abruptly. So I'm left very angry and very unfulfilled. Sorry about all this, but I needed to get it off my chest!! :sad:

She probably ended the conversation because she knew her side was not defendable. If anyone would dare try to argue with me about pet stores, I'd shut them up pretty quick with the story of my sweet little Mufasa who died in 15 days of a URI. I have good reason to believe several of his cage mates died, too, based on a couple of return trips to the store to look around. It wasn't a Petsmart, but really, they're all the same. Animals are "stock" and "merchandise" to them, and nothing more. When merchandise is defective or breaks, you just toss it out.

Stick to your guns and educate as many people as possible. Dismiss the ones who are beyond education and save your efforts for those who will listen...and who, most importantly, will SEE. Educating others is one way I'm honoring Mufasa, along with having adopted two piggies in his honor.

I read your story about Mufasa a while ago and it completely broke my heart, I was crying. I'm so incredibly sorry for your loss.

I can't believe people won't listen to cold, hard facts like this. They will continue buying from these stores, so the demand will be there as long as that happens.

I'm the person who posted that story linked in the OP's post. I came on here to share the story, but she beat me to it.

I had to hold back crying after speaking with the ignorant employee. He claimed the pig's breathing was normal at first. When I persisted, he told me, "Oh, it's just an upper respiratory infection, I'll put her in isolation tonight." He then put her BACK into the cage with her 3 cage mates. I couldn't believe it.

If I had the money I would buy her and pay for her treatment. However, I have two pigs of my own and I can't risk them getting sick and I don't have money to spend on extra vet bills right now.

I'm still saddened and I feel sick that people think it's okay for animals to be treated like this. I know a lot of people who think pet stores and their employees are angels and they care for their animals perfectly. This couldn't be further from the truth.

ETA - the post I made also has a video of the pig's labored breathing. You may have to go to the original post to see it. It's very, very obvious something was wrong.

@Kieri I'm so sorry you had to see that and go through that experience. As hard as it feels, it's actually a good thing you didn't buy that pig. Yes, you might have saved one piggy's life, but when the store manager runs the numbers, it's a sale that shows demand for stock and a reason to order two more guinea pigs to take that purchased piggy's place. By not buying it, you didn't create demand so you let one piggy stay there in the short term so perhaps many others won't be there in the long term.

Also, remember, that sick pig is the pet store's problem, not yours. Don't let them make you feel like it's your responsibility to do something. You feel that way because you're a kind, soft-hearted, responsible person, but they're the ones who let the pig get sick, not you. They've probably let many others infect their cage mates and die, and they'll let it happen in the future, too. It will only stop if no one buys them for any reason whatsoever and the demand disappears.

It just sucks to be someone who cares and to have to see all that suffering in the meantime. Just remember, dog and cat sales at pet stores are down to virtually non-existent now. If we all stay strong, the same reality can be achieved for piggies someday.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.