Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fudge and Nugget, update on recent happenings

pamziaw

Cavy Slave
I haven't been around the site for a while so since I have some spare time I thought I'd give a quick update on my pigs. Fudge and Nugget went for their check-up 6 weeks ago at a new vet. The vet commented on Fudge being the biggest guinea pig he'd ever seen and he weighed in at 1.5kg! I have no idea how he got so big, he doesn't have any treats, just cavy cuisine, timothy hay and 1 bowl veggies per day. Nugget weighed in at 1.2kg but he's slightly smaller than Fudge.

Nug needed eye drops as he had an eye irritation which to be honest was why their checkup was brought forward. I bought them a Dalmatian cosy from thistle cavies (uk) which they refuse to use and made them a penthouse pigloo, the instructions of how to make are on this forum, they argued so much over who had it, we ended up making them another one. They sit in them near feeding time so when I walk by the cage they can sit with their paws on the top of the cubes and wheek at me. They're still refusing treats, they prefer to eat grass then treats such as strawberries or raspberries.

Nugget is dominant over space but Fudge is dominant over food. This seems like a bizarre setup but it seems to work. Nugget will dominate Fudges sleeping places, where he sits and how he moves and he mounts him, but when food arrives Fudge dominates the food area and won't let Nugget near. He he and as I speak now, Nugget is having a mad moment and charging around the cage popcorning. Nugget has gotten a lot more confident in the last year, he was a nervous wreak when we first rescued him, he still bolts when we come right up to the cage but when he's out he no longer freezes still, he eats from my hands and is very affectionate and headbutts me when I stop stroking him.

Fudge has trained my mum, when he wheeks she feeds him, I wish I was lying. It's because she doesn't pick him up so he knows he's safe to come right up to the side of the cage to be fed and stroked in the cage but if I come near he bolts as he knows I might pick him up. About this time last year I dismantled the top deck of the cage as the pigs had had a 16 square ft extension put onto the 2x4 and so weren't using it anymore, they're happy enough at ground level anyway.

Anyway the pigs have settled down for the night and I'm going to do the same. Night night all :)

I have no idea how he got so big, he doesn't have any treats, just cavy cuisine, timothy hay and 1 bowl veggies per day.

How much cavy cuisine a day? For 2 adult pigs you should be putting 1/4 cup total in their bowl each day (about 1/16 liter...I don't remember how much Cavy Cuisine weighs so I won't even pretend I can give you a weight).

They're still refusing treats, they prefer to eat grass then treats such as strawberries or raspberries.

Jackie is the same way! If it's red and fruity, he thinks it's poison. If it's green and leafy, it's already in his belly. He won't eat strawberries but goes nuts over the green leaves if I take them off the berry.

Well they never get a full cup cos fudge will just sit there and eat the lot. They get about 1/4 to be honest. They get fed the hay and pellets in the morning and the fresh veg in the evening, this is mostly cos we tried feeding them in the morning and they were wheeking again in the evening. They don't wheek midday this way around.

I must admit that my Piggles weighs in at a hefty 1.8kg. He is on limited pellets, but is fed unlimited hay and believe me that's where he is always found. He lays down in front of the hay rack and just sits and eats all day.
I'm not kidding about him laying down either.

I just don't know what to do. Between him and Fuzz, they get 1/4 cup per day of pellets, veggies in the evening, and unlimited hay. Fuzz weighs in at 1.2kg as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.