Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training Frustration with Poor Litter Box Options for Guinea Pigs

KendalCoco

Cavy Gazer
Hi all, I'm a new pet owner of two male guinea pigs, both has turn a year old now.

I've been struggling to find a suitable litter box for them, both in stores and online. Many options seem inadequate, often requiring DIY modifications that still feel lacking or imperfect. Have other guinea pig owners experienced similar challenges? Do you just wish there was a better one available on the market?

. Have other guinea pig owners experienced similar challenges? Do you just wish there was a better one available on the marketI

No. and you aren't likely to find one nor any interest in producing one for market. It is a widespread belief that cavies can't be trained to use a litter box! That is only partly true in that they can't be trained in the strictest sense of the word like cats, dogs, and even rabbits. They can be encouraged to use a litter pan and the training may be successful to a certain degree.....or not. My experience is that usually one will respond to the training, and the other will follow. With one exception, I have always kept Abys and they are known to be quite intelligent.

I use what is called a "kitten" litterpan which should be of a size that an adult cavy can comfortably stretch out. I put a light layer of bedding to cover the bottom+ a layer of hay over that. My boys absolutely adore their litterbox and sometimes sleep in it. 😞The cage stays cleaner and the hay is somewhat contained. If that visual bothers you, yes, they will poop where they sleep and eat, but consider that cavies sometimes eat their own excrement in order to consume lost nutrients (sorta' like recycling).

I will attach a pic below:

Kitten litter pan
https://www.amazon.com/Van-Ness-Small-Cat-Litter/dp/B01KV8AHNK/ref=sr_1_8_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1519082659&sr=8-8&keywords=kitten+litter+box

https://www.chewy.com/van-ness-cat-litter-pan-blue-small/dp/55352

Keep us posted. Welcome to the Forum!

Attachments

Kitten litter pan.jpg
I don’t use a littler box, but I put the hay pile on a homemade wee pad. I have one side that is woven cotton like quilt fabric. Inside is a lightweight kitchen towel, and the other side is fleece. As Spy9doc says, the piggies tend to eat, wee and poo in the same spot. The wee pad is easy to clean, and when it gets damp I shake it out and throw it in the laundry.

I’ve also thought about trying to sew fabric bowls. I think they would work well.

Hi all, I'm a new pet owner of two male guinea pigs, both has turn a year old now.

I've been struggling to find a suitable litter box for them, both in stores and online. Many options seem inadequate, often requiring DIY modifications that still feel lacking or imperfect. Have other guinea pig owners experienced similar challenges? Do you just wish there was a better one available on the market?
Watching this post… I agree! I want to get another gpig for my recently adopted neutered male. I need a MM larger space, easier to clean maybe with a double level and different rooms.