Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated: Can't help!

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
I'm very frustrated right now and was hoping that someone here would have some comforting words or some sound advice...

My other half has never had a pet of his own. When we first started dating he came to the petstore with me once and fell in love with a chameleon they had. He spend the next year reading and researching all about them.

For his birthday I bought him the cage and light system, so he could set it up exactly how he wanted to. Six months after that he was satisfied with his work and ready for his first pet, at 32 years old.

Last Friday we brought home an 8 weeks old Panther chameleon that we named Capernicus. We have now had him for 9 days and he hasn't eaten at all and doesn't seem to be doing well.

I don't know what to do, but I want to do something to help. We have checked and rechecked his cage to make sure everything is within excepted chameleon husbandry standards, but he's going down hill fast.

I know little to nothing about chameleons and my heart is breaking inside watching this little baby not adjusting well, and watching my boyfriend agonize over his new found love.

Not exactly sure how y'all can help, but maybe if I'm lucky someone will be a chameleon expert...

Mostly I think I just needed an outlet for my feelings right now. Thanks for reading and sorry it was so long.

Ugh how heat breaking. I know nothing about chameleons at all but perhaps call the petstore and see what they say?

I know nothing about chameleons either. Perhaps take him to the vet?

Ugh how heat breaking. I know nothing about chameleons at all but perhaps call the petstore and see what they say?

We are going to the petstore today to pick up some crickets that are the size he is used to eating. Although there wasn't much of a difference between the one's they carry and the one's a store closer to us carries, it may be making all the difference.

Although he has never eaten any kind of worms, we are going to try some of those too. Just incase we can entice his appetite with something different.

I know nothing about chameleons either. Perhaps take him to the vet?

We've been in contact with a reptile vet, but the concern at this point is if we move him to take him in, it will stress him even more.

I'm amazed at how fragile these little creatures are. Many chameleon owners say taking a sick chameleon to a vet can do more harm then good because of the stress. But I'm of the impression, it's worth a try.

Anyways, I found a chameleon forum to join and am scouring through the threads for some good answers.

Thanks for listening.

Gl. I hope the little guy is ok.

How is he doing today?

How is he doing today?

I actually have some very positive news. Why is it when I freak out, everything starts going right making me look like a worry-wart.

My boyfriend sat on the couch as still as possible watching Capernicus for quite some time. Eventually he saw the little guy successfully stalk and catch a cricket.

He ate!!!! Yay \o/

I will continue to read up on useful information, so that if an issue arises I am a little more prepared to help.

That's great!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.