Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Frustrated by the biting !! :(

southernfury

Cavy Slave
I don't have a clue what to do...I have tryed the elevator method, towel/blanket, even a cozy to pick up and hold Reeses. But She just keeps biting me and everything around her. Today she actually bit hard enough to draw blood on me and my daughter. I have to put eye drops in her eyes, but that is so hard to do when she is trying to escape and bite the crap out of me. I even tryed wraping her up in a towel to where only her head was sticking out...but she started to bite the towel. I have tryed everything..!! So frustrated right now...I'm so afraid that she will NEVER calm down to be held or petted. She is 2 months old...she has been checked by the Vet for mites and any injuries...but nothing !! We love her death, but i'm very sadden by her biting. My finger is swollen. I always wash my hands before i hold any of our pigs. I have to treat her eyes...but i can't..!! She refuses to let me..!! Nothing i have done works..!!

PLs help w/ any suggestions..!! I'm at my wits end..how can i help her if she won't let me !!! :*(

How long have you had her? I wonder if she has mites. Mites are really painful and guinea pigs that have mites will often bite because it hurts more when you touch them. I think I'd have her treated for mites and see if that makes a difference.

We have had her for alil over a month..!! I took her to the Vet about a week ago for a URI...cause she was sneezing and the vet checked for mites, but didn't think she had any. So yesterday i went and got the eye drops for Reeses and Mocha. While i was there i told the vet about them all scratching a lot...so she wants me to go ahead and treat them for mites...i gave them their first dose last night of Ivermec. (sry about the spelling) They will get their second dose in a wk. I hope that helps her, if that is what she has...cause her biting really hurts..!! But she has always nipped and bit sense we had her....first it was just lil nips, now it has turned into severe bites..!!

Hmmm what did the vet do to "check" for mites? They aren't visible on the skin because they burrow down underneath the skin.

Guinea pigs don't bite as a matter of course. There is always a reason. One reason can be because of mites which cause the skin to be painful to the touch.

Treating for mites won't harm the pig, even if that turns out not to be the cause. My suggestion is to get either Ivermectin or Revolution from a feed store and treat her for mites. If that IS indeed the problem you will likely see an improvement in her behavior after about 2 treatments. If it's not, then you can rule it out and try to find another reason for the biting.

She will come up to me when i sit down with her during the floor time...and she runs up to me when i have the veggies to feed them. She even let me hand feed her some fresh grass this evening, but don't dare try to grab her..!! She is a very sweet girl and she loves to talk to u..!! Just no touchy..!! :( We rescued her from a home...where she was stuck in a small cage with several other piggies, no water, and the cage hasn't been cleaned in days..!! :(

If she was living with several other pigs, she may have picked up mites from them.

It sounds like you came along at the right time to rescue her from those conditions. How horrible that someone would keep their pigs like that. :mad:

She had her first dose of Ivermectin last night...she will have another in a wk. All my piggies are being treated for them...just in case..!! Mocha & Coconut are very calm when we pick them up...even though i noticed Mocha had some dandruff.

Last night i did notice a tuff of Reeses hair on the ground that had a lil bit of dryed skin on it. I'm not sure what my Vet did, cause i had to leave them all there while she checked them all out. I hope that if this is the cause of her biting...it will help her feel better and ease up on the biting..!!

Yes, if mites are the culprit, Ivermectin will definitely take care of the problem. It's good that you are treating them all just to be on the safe side. It will definitely help Reeces feel much better and more comfortable.

And if it turns out to be something else, then you can feel better knowing that you at least ruled out mites.

If she was living with several other pigs, she may have picked up mites from them.

It sounds like you came along at the right time to rescue her from those conditions. How horrible that someone would keep their pigs like that. :mad:

It was so sad....It was her Mother, Father, & all her brothers, she was the only female. I tryed to take the mother ( just to rescue her and stop them from breeding) But she refused to let me have her too. I tryed to tell theses girls how bad it was for them to keep them in that cond. and to let them breed like that....but she didn't care..!! I was so upset that i grab the water bottle and went down and got the piggies some water...they actually fought over the water. :( I'm sry but i had no choice but to turn them in the the Animal protection group around here...I couldn't let them live in the condition !! She prob did...so i hope this treatment helps..!!

I do have a qu?? Have ya ever treated for Mites with the Ivermectin? If so, has it ever gave ya's piggies loose pop?

It was so sad....It was her Mother, Father, & all her brothers, she was the only female. I tryed to take the mother ( just to rescue her and stop them from breeding) But she refused to let me have her too. I tryed to tell theses girls how bad it was for them to keep them in that cond. and to let them breed like that....but she didn't care..!!

If they wouldn't budge on giving you the mother, what was the reason they gave for being willing to rehome the daughter? Good for you for trying to take the mother out of those conditions as well.

As for trying to educate them on the harm that breeding can cause, all you can do is try. If they aren't ready to listen, then nothing you can say is going to get through to them. We can only hope that some of what you said will sink in eventually.

I was so upset that i grab the water bottle and went down and got the piggies some water...they actually fought over the water. :(

Oh dear, those poor pigs are likely dehydrated and probably don't get fresh water every day. Those people don't deserve to have pigs if they are going to treat them that way. It's cruelty. Not providing even the basic needs of animals is neglect and cruelty.

I'm sry but i had no choice but to turn them in the the Animal protection group around here...I couldn't let them live in the condition !! She prob did...so i hope this treatment helps

No need to apologize for that! :) Good for you. You did the right thing turning them in to AC. Sadly, even if AC takes them away, there is really nothing stopping her from buying more pigs and starting over. Unless the AC lays down a restriction about her owning animals. Sometimes they do punish in that way.

I do have a qu?? Have ya ever treated for Mites with the Ivermectin? If so, has it ever gave ya's piggies loose pop?

I've treated for mites with Revolution. I didn't see any loose poop but I have heard that sometimes that can be a side effect. The dose is based on weight. I would check to make sure the dose isn't too high.

I'm guessing she's bitey because she's so young she doesn't have any real experience with being held BEING pleasant yet, especially because you've been having to do things that are unpleasant for now. My boars are MUCH more cuddly now that they're real grownups. You may get your snuggly pig yet, it may just take some time. Good luck.

While baby pigs might chew a bit more, they won't bite to break skin or to maim. It's more likely that her skin is hurting from mites.

She was willing to give me Reeses because she wanted to get rid of the babies. They couldn't even tell me how many litters that the mother has had...all they said was...it is a lot and everytime they turn around, she is havin babies ! Their dad was Tryin to talk them into lettin me have the mother but they refused to give her up!

I am Goin to just pick her up in her cozy until she starts Feelin better, she gets moved twice a day..one to go to floor time and once for bedtime. I try to handle her and do her eyes during then. So I don't give her any discomfort during floor time!

I hope it gets better with the treatment, and I had a pig who bit a lot when I got her. She was already a few years old but so used to being mis treated, she was aggressive. It took a lot of patience, and I learned to wear gloves. With that said, do not overwhelm with forcing her to warm up, because it can cause stress illnesses. I say treat for mites to rule out physical, and then wear gloves and when its floor time, try first laying your hand on her until she is comfortable with that. Then go a little further and wrap you hand under her like you are going to pick her up...but don't. Keep trying until she's calm with that...and then go to picking her up. Sometimes you must pick her up, and you will have to force it a little, but in general, go slow...it worked for Olga...:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.