Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fruit Fruits how often?

Jadyn

Cavy Slave
I know u need to feed 3 servings of vegtables per day (2 leafy 1 regular) but how much fruit.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Lauren0625

Cavy Slave
Because fruits have natural sugars and guinea pigs have sensitive digestion systems, fruits should only be given as treats. However often you give your pigs treats is probably how often you should give them fruit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jadyn

Cavy Slave
Because fruits have natural sugars and guinea pigs have sensitive digestion systems, fruits should only be given as treats. However often you give your pigs treats is probably how often you should give them fruit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've read from several sources that you should feed couple times a week

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Shiemi hates fruit so I gave up on it. I just give her veggies, breakfast and dinner. She gets her allotted amount so... if they like fruit, you can do treat or twice a week (I heard that too). But if you do the treat, don't over do it. Read around this forum, people have awesome ideas like freezing corn husk for hot days.

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
Depends on the type of fruit and sugar content. I usually feed a small slice of green bell pepper daily since the sugar is relatively low and it's not too watery. I'll switch it up every other week and substitute the pepper with something like an orange, watermelon, cantaloupe, whatever's in season. But I give them a really small amount (about a quarter of a wedge of orange or so).

I think the important thing is to watch their feces. If they're still solid and firm, you're okay. But if they get really watery and gross, you should alter their diet again back towards hay until they normalize.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Here is what my 2 boys get:
Everyday

Morning- 1 big lettuce leaf each, 1 baby tomato each, a few corn husk leaves when available.
Afternoon- 1 baby/chunk carrot each / slice of cucumber each
Evening- 1/8 of bell pepper each

1-2 times per week

-Small piece of fruit as their afternoon snack. Ex. blueberry each, slice of strawberry each (with leaf), small piece of cantaloupe each (with rind), small piece of watermelon each (with rind), small thin slice of apple each, small slice of banana each (with skin).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.