Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Fruit flies coming from Guinea pig droppings?

Sloxchy

Cavy Gazer
Hello, so I’ve had these fruit flies for a while now and it’s like nothing is stopping them from breeding. I’ve seen them literally in my Guinea pigs cage roaming around their feces and when I smack the cage a bit they do end up flying out but come right back. Yes I’ve done the vinegar with soap and they’re not attracted to it. I don’t believe they are gnats as they do not resemble a mosquito but more like a regular fly in all honesty. They are now in the rest of my apartment and I’m not really sure what else to do. I did end up cleaning the cage bars but even with that the flies came literally right back. Now I don’t really want to hear “it doesn’t seem that they are coming from the cage” because they are and besides when I do give my Guinea pigs fruits or veggies I throw it away once they are done. To add I did read another article on here and people were telling the person it wasn’t the cage even though they kept saying it was.
IMG_2701.jpeg

This picture I’ve attached was a while ago but this is what the flies did when I had bedding.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They may be drain flies rather than fruit flies. If the vinegar doesn't attract them, they're almost certainly not fruit flies.

The flies don't originate in the cage, but are attracted to the decaying organic matter in it. You can google drain fly control for several suggestions. I once had an infestation of them, and the thing that finally cleared it up was an electric fly zapper that I put on top of the cage.

Sloxchy

Cavy Gazer
They may be drain flies rather than fruit flies. If the vinegar doesn't attract them, they're almost certainly not fruit flies.

The flies don't originate in the cage, but are attracted to the decaying organic matter in it. You can google drain fly control for several suggestions. I once had an infestation of them, and the thing that finally cleared it up was an electric fly zapper that I put on top of the cage.
I’ll look into it, thank you but I will say they look nothing like a drain fly. They’re basically the same as a fruit fly but completely black.

Last edited:

Sloxchy

Cavy Gazer
Here is a close-up of one that I zapped and I forgot to mention that they are highly attracted to coffee.
IMG_3635.jpeg
IMG_3636.jpeg

Sloxchy

Cavy Gazer
Someone help lmao
IMG_3653.jpeg

Sloxchy

Cavy Gazer
Listen I really need help with these flies, my parents are now wanting to get rid of my GP’s due to this ongoing issue. Which I do not blame them; the flies have been here for 2 years and nothing is effective. I am open to trying new things out.

Thanks.

Attachments

image.jpg

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
What is your cage setup like? How big? What kind of bedding? How many pigs share the cage? How often do you clean?

Sloxchy

Cavy Gazer
What is your cage setup like? How big? What kind of bedding? How many pigs share the cage? How often do you clean?
It’s a 7x4 and I know it’s not the minimum cage requirements but I do not have the room for it. Wood shavings from PetSmart; they’re really soft, 2 GP’s and I clean 1-2 times a week. I was planning on doing a pine/cedar mix since I read on another thread that it worked well and the flies stopped.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
It’s a 7x4 and I know it’s not the minimum cage requirements but I do not have the room for it. Wood shavings from PetSmart; they’re really soft, 2 GP’s and I clean 1-2 times a week. I was planning on doing a pine/cedar mix since I read on another thread that it worked well and the flies stopped.

I'm not sure what 7x4 means; can you describe it in terms of inches or cm?
When you say that you clean 1-2 times a week, do you mean that you completely change out the wood shavings and replace with all fresh stuff? Do you spot-clean areas with lots of pee and poop in-between full cleanings?

Sloxchy

Cavy Gazer
I'm not sure what 7x4 means; can you describe it in terms of inches or cm?
When you say that you clean 1-2 times a week, do you mean that you completely change out the wood shavings and replace with all fresh stuff? Do you spot-clean areas with lots of pee and poop in-between full cleanings?
7x4 in feet which means 7’ 4’. I completely change the bedding including cleaning between the grids and the bottom of the cage.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did you try the electric bug zapper?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Sloxchy

Cavy Gazer
Last edited:

Sloxchy

Cavy Gazer
Update: This is what I woke up to yesterday, kinda on my last straw right now. At this point it’s a mental struggle to wake up and swat the flies and as much as I love them I cannot continue to let this happen as it prevents housing from coming in the house. For the past 2 years I’ve been trying to get rid of these flies and it’s like no one has this issue. They’re similar to fruit flies but are completely black and not really attracted to apple cider vinegar.
IMG_4243.jpeg

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This one.

Attachments

Screenshot_20230531-130440_Amazon Shopping.jpg

augustina

Cavy Gazer
Hello, Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time.
I had a similar problem some years ago. It turned out the flies were a type with a very short breeding cycle. I believe they were hatching daily out of the droppings/dirty litter. Changing ALL the bedding EVERY DAY for a week broke the cycle. That is, daily throw out the litter, timothy, paper, everything you can, and wash any cloth bedding daily.
Please don't give up on your piggies until you've tried this. I had battled the flies for a long time and eventually the infestation was as bad as yours looks -- but with the daily changings, the problem cleared up within a few days. Good luck!!!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I know this is extreme, but I would remove all the bedding, clean the entire cage, and put down fleece over some large absorbent towels. Put smaller pieces of fleece or quilted placemats in the corners where they toilet. Spot clean the area a few times a day. Shake the corner pieces out daily and anything damp or soiled goes straight into the wash. Add about 1/3 cup white vinegar in the fabric softener compartment of the washer for a clean rinse.

Get the vacuum cleaner out and suck up the flies on the walls.

These look like the kind of flies that hang around horse and cattle barns. We had horses when I was growing up and I remember flies like these in the barn. They use organic bedding and droppings to multiply. Without a place to multiply they will die.

BTW, your cage size, 28 sq ft, is generous for 2 pigs.

augustina

Cavy Gazer
That sounds like good advice and the barn flies connection makes sense.

To ease the burden of cleaning, you might put the pigs into a smaller area for a few days. If you use a C&C cage, they'll be fine in a 2 x 3 grid temporarily.

Also simplify any cage furniture and bedding for the duration. Make sure hideaways are thoroughly cleaned out, then they can be put aside for the time being. Of biggest concern are things made of rope or twisted grass, as poop can easily get impacted there. They might need to be discarded.

As I recall, the flies were pretty much gone after the end of the third day, but I continued daily cleanings for a few more to be sure.