Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Fruit and veg

sarah0712

Cavy Slave
Do you feed both fruit and veg together? Or do you feed fruit seperatly to your veggies? Just wondering because today I bought some raspberries and blueberries for my piggies. Wondering what everybody else does :)

Fruits are higher in sugar, and should not be fed daily. I only feed high sugar veg & fruits as a treat, or when I'm eating them myself a few times a month. As pig's are grazers, it's always best to split up the daily 1 cup of veggies into 2-3 feedings. Doesn't matter if you choose to combine the daily veggies into a salad, or feed each sepeately.

The funny thing is that my pigs flately refused bluberries until they saw me eating them. It was like "Alright everyone! Poison check clear!".

The daily staples include 1/4 yellow or green bell pepper, orange or red contain more sugar & should only be fed occasionally, or when teaching a pig to eat it. 1 slice of red bell pepper does however cover the whole vitamin C intake for the average pig.

2 kinds of lettuce, 2-3 medium/large leaves. Many red & green leaf varieties to rotate. No iceberg, romaine could cause sludge in some pigs & should in that case be avoided.

Cilantro, a great herb that also could be fed daily up to a handful. As well as zucchini if your pigs like it. Feed only these until your pigs eat them well, especially the bell pepper. Then add rotational veggies per Ly's diet chart.

Ok thanks. The chart says that blueberries can be fed 2-4 times a week and raspberries almost everyday. But yes I will feed them as treats, seperatly to their veggies :)

They can be fed with the veggies, but should not be fed as often as veggies are fed. My pigs get a couple of pieces of fruit added to their salad every 3rd day or so, and the rest of the time the salads are veggies only.

I've noticed with Maximus von Lichtenwalder... that he seems to go through cycles of wanting fruit and then he reaches a stage very quickly when he flatly refuses to eat it, smells it and if I leave there he just ignores it. It seems to us that now because I offer when ever we have new fruit in the house he has got over the fruit craving I saw in the early weeks; it seems we let him find his balance and now he falls right in line with the recommendations on the menu charts.

It's now 5 months down the track with the offering and I've got to hand it to the wee man it works out that he takes some kind of fruit maybe 3 times a week, sometimes 4 times never more.

Does anyone else's piglet's refuse fruit regularly?

(When I looked into the HAFF diet, because we don't have quality pellets here, I was advised that on that diet the fruit intake is slightly higher and is necessary to keep health.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.