Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Allergies From holding my piggie

Katie..

Cavy Slave
I had laptime with my piggie Darth Vader and after I put him up I noticed on my arm I had white bumps with red color around them. It's about a half dollar coin size and doesn't itch.
I know it's not from him specificly but from hay or poop.
Is there any way I can avoid this next time I hold him?
I noticed also his hay makes my asthma act up. I dont mind because it's not severe.
[GuineaPigCages.com] From holding my piggie

First off, it's awesome you named your pig Darth Vader. That's epic. Now, if I had to make a guess I'd say you're allergic to his nails. My friend has degrees in this stuff and he told me that most people are allergic to the nails. A lot of things get trapped under the nail and it irritates people. The good news is, that means you have a good immune system! Bad news, I have no clue if there's actually anything you can do to stop it. The only thing you can do is avoid his nails touching you.

Some of the people on the forums have reactions when holding there pigs; they wear long sleeves to cover their arms and chest, and I think some people have to wear gloves as well. Also a lot of people have hay allergy's and seem to do better with orchard (or blue grass from kms) than timothy hay, may be worth a try.

Sounds like a great idea. It does make alot of sense about the nails.
Long sleeves! should of thaught of that. lol
I'll look and see where I can get some blue grass. Who knows, maybe my piggie will love it too!

Sounds like a great idea. It does make alot of sense about the nails.
Long sleeves! should of thaught of that. lol
I'll look and see where I can get some blue grass. Who knows, maybe my piggie will love it too!
Oxbow has orchard grass, and KMS bluegrass is orchard grass but under a different name. KMS is out of it till probably August :(, but you can still get Oxbow online or maybe at a store near you.

I doubt seriously that you're allergic to his nails. What's under his nails, maybe. But that's likely to be hay related, and far more people are allergic to hay than to the pigs. Timothy hay is the worst offender.

You can try another kind of hay, but the selection may be slim until the fall crop comes in. It will also help to wear long-sleeved clothes when handling your pig. If he's in your bedroom, it would be a good idea to move his somewhere else, as your allergies are likely to get worse rather than better with continued exposure.

Another thing you can do is have someone else handle the hay, if possible. Containing it in a hay rack rather than piling it on the floor of the cage will mean less contact with the pig's body, and therefore less contact for you. You can also put it in paper sacks (lunch bag size) to keep it from aggravating your asthma.

If your allergies are that bad, keep Benadryl on hand in case you have a severe reaction. You might also want to run an air purifier around the cage, but don't let the wind it creates blow over your piggie.

Has Darth Vader ever been treated for parasites? There may be a possibility that he has mites or something that is causing the reaction to your skin.

My allergies got better when I switched Quee and Kwee over to orchard grass hay instead of timothy. They seem to enjoy it better as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.