Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Friends Outside My Window

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
At my house we see roadrunners just about everyday there are two female and one male that we know of, that have made our yard there home. The other day we found a nest in our backyard and yesterday we saw some baby roadrunners running around.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
It seems that finches aren't the only animals that like our finch feeder. In one flying leap, the squirrel that usually runs back and forth on our fence dove forward and grabbed the feeder. I think Frank (the squirrel) was as shocked as I was that he made it.
ComputerWindowAnimals015.jpg

ComputerWindowAnimals016.jpg

ComputerWindowAnimals018.jpg

ComputerWindowAnimals017.jpg

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Aww he is so cute!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Yeah, Frank is pretty adorable actually. Luckily he didn't try to pull the feeder off the hook. He was licking the little feed holes trying to get seeds to come out. Now that dad has the bigger feeder with sunflower seeds and larger bits in it set back up, he'll probably head back to the back yard and feast off of what the birds kick to the ground. We're thinking about getting a squirrel feeder for him and his buddies.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
It'd be so cute if he came back with a stick of dynamite and blew it up so he could run off with the nuts.
Little packin' squirrels.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You're sick Taco.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
I do think the animals are plotting to raid your house, PM.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
That last picture of Frank is so cute, it looks like it should be on a calendar.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Absolutely, get a squirrel feeder!! Every morning, religiously for about a year now, I toss about 3 cups of bird seed, a bowl of peanuts in the shell and sometimes a 12oz bag of raw out-of-the-shell sunflower seeds onto my patio. I just scatter it all on the floor of my stone patio.

I get ALL the birds, squirrels and rats. They've all figured out their pecking order. It's fantastic to watch. My desk, as I sit and type this or do any work, looks out at them.

There is a nice balance. I guess some people would get freaked out by the rats, but I don't. They are out there, they are not going away. Their population stays in check with other creatures. There aren't too many.

We recently added a fountain with a pump for the water.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I'm really considering something like that. Our back deck is wood, so some of the seed and whatnot would fall through, but they can always get at that when they go under the deck to cool off. Frank's flying leap the finch feeder was pretty comical. This morning he was sitting on the ground under the bigger bird feeder eating sunflower seeds.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I always got a kick from the squirrels when they would go up the pole and then literally stretch out at 90 degrees to get to the feeder. It was amazing.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I call them rodent engineers. You can almost hear the wheels in their brains spinning when they're trying to get to the feeders.