Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Friends Outside My Window

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If you sit at my mother's computer desk and look out the window, it's kind of like looking out at your own little world. Animals, bugs, the neighbors kids making up games in their back yard. You see all of it. Well, for Mother's Day, we bought my grandmother a small finch feeder to hang from the shepard's hook off her patio. She went bonkers for it and calls us daily to tell us about the goldfinches that come eat from her feeder, sit on the top of the hook, and sit on her little patio table. Dad got all excited because his mother was all excited, so he decided to buy us a bigger finch feeder and mounted it on a swinging hook outside this same "window to the world." It took a few days, but the goldfinches finally found the feeder. I thought I would share some pictures of some of our little birdy friends, and a couple others who decided to grace our backyard fence.

ComputerWindowAnimals006.jpg

ComputerWindowAnimals005.jpg

ComputerWindowAnimals005.jpg

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Mr. Squirrel
ComputerWindowAnimals003.jpg

Ms. Brown Bird
ComputerWindowAnimals001.jpg

And I think these two finches are a couple. They were hanging around a LOT together over the last couple of days.
ComputerWindowAnimals014.jpg

ComputerWindowAnimals013.jpg

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Aww, I love the goldfinches. They're our state bird, so I love seeing them flying around.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Wow PM! You have some cool looking birds in Richmond! (Excuse my ignorance - what does the VA stand for?)

I feed the birds in my garden too - we get mostly sparrows, tits and pigeons, but sometimes green finches,siskins (which look a wee bit like your lovely couple - but not so yellow), and goldfinches. Our goldfinches are very different to yours, and are one of our most colourfyl birds...let me see if I can find you a pic. They are beautiful!

We are very lucky in our part of the world to have our native red squirrel still in a few places. Unfortunately, somebody in history (!) brought your larger grey squirrel to the UK, where it takes over from our reds. Here is a picture...
Red%20Squirrel.jpg
Because I live in a town, I don't get them in the garden, but I know people who live in the countryside near here who do!

I love Ms. Brown bird too - she looks a bit like our wren...
house_wren.jpg
Infact, she is a wren, cos her pic showed up when I searched for wrens!

Last edited:

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You have some very beautiful animals as well!

VA = Virginia

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
Those birds are STUNNING, I can't wait for us to buy a house and have a garden so I can put things up like that. At the moment we live in an appartment, the most interesting view (if you can call it that) is the old neighbour that lives opposite walking round in his Y-fronts!

I prefer your view.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
PM, I am so glad I finally got to see these pictures! They are gorgeous.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
We've had a few more friends on the finch feeder. One with a red head and chest that the lady at Wild Birds Unlimited identified as a purple finch. Another is solid brown, and a third is black and white. Of course the American goldfinches are coming back and forth all day long. Dad decided yesterday to purchase another feeder for the back yard. This one is for larger birds, and is a house shaped feeder with a tray ledge on either side. So far we've seen a cardinal, a couple of blue jays, and some other brown birds that I can't ID. It's been pretty cool bringing the wildlife into view.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Cool. We have deer that come out to visit at times. I saw a mom and two babies sneak out one day last week down the road. I honked my horn to scare them back into the woods. I didn't want them to get hit by the traffic. We also have Mr. Bunny that lives in our backyard. I'll toss out carrots and lettuce from the girls' food when I see him.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Hey, Liz!

The bird in my backyard can kick the birds in your backyard's butts! And those piddly little squirrels too!

Now THIS is a bird.

18916095950.jpg

18916104877.jpg

He's pretty but rather unwelcomed as he tries to eat my fish

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
VJ--he looks like he could eat you, never mind the fish!!! YIKES!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
We have those by the huge pond by my house. He always stands on a piece of floating wood.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Wowie. I love finches. My great-grandma has a whole bunch of feeders out side her patio doors. She sits and watches them all day. It's really great to have something she looks forward to doing each day as she is almost 91.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
You lie!!! You took that picture at the zoo and are trying to fool us. I thought Candian geese could be scary. Aaack!

HighAltitudePig

Cavy Slave
We have a lot of wildlife in our neighborhood. The bears do not show up often. We have a daily show with all of the hummingbirds that come to our feeder.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
HowietheGreat said:
You lie!!! You took that picture at the zoo and are trying to fool us. I thought Candian geese could be scary. Aaack!
Nope, He relly comes to my backyard.

In this post you can see the same pond only it's taken from the outside but if you look you can tell it's the same pond https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/showpost.php?p=213566&postcount=11

That bird cleaned out most of my neighbors' ponds because they wouldn't listen to me when they built then. I told them to dig it deep and provide lots of hiding spaces and plants for cover.

That heron got maybe 2 of my fish total. That's all he got because my fish have loads of places to hide and the pond is 2 feet deep.

Still, this year I didn't want him coming back so I have added a Japanese Deer Clacker to scare him away. So far it seems to be working as I haven't seen him in my yard but I have seen him working the neighbors' ponds.

As much as I don't want him around my ponds I'm happy to see he survived the hurricane.

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
I grew up in Central Florida where there were lots of Herons and birds of that sort, they are so pretty. I too live in an apartment at the moment but fortunately the owner of the properties, he owns several others locally too, loves trees. There is a HUGE tree just outside my window, pine I believe. There are always lots of Cardinals and Blue Jays, and squirrels. When we first moved here my oldest son and I would sit in my room on the bed and just look out the window at all the birds and squirrels since we're on the second floor and my window is 8 feet long we have a great view. He now knows that girl cardinals are quite dull compared to the boys who are the red ones, same as the blue jays and there even was a family of squirrels who built a nest in the branch by my window and we got to see all the little baby squirrels when they were tiny and new. I cannot wait to move and have my own home and a garden, but until then, this is pretty good too. I'll have to take some pictures.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
This is what I miss so much about living in a house. As I keep saying, one day I will be a homeowner again. I used to hang 4 hummer feeders and I had about 6 bird feeders and 2 squirrel feeders. Here, our apartment backs up to some woods and one morning we were eating on the balcony and saw 3 woodpeckers.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
We get a lot of deer around us since there's a forest down the road. I have some pictures of them running around in the snow on my other computer. We get a lot of bunnies, too. And evil groundhogs that live under sheds. *shudder* They creep me out.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Yesterday was my parents' 36th wedding anniversary. Mom bought Dad a book of Birds of VA, and 2 metal branches to attach to the pole and hook the feeders are on. Now the birds that don't have a perch on the finch feeder or a spot on the tray/house feeder have waiting lounges to chill on until it's their turn to eat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.