Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food Fresh v Dehydrated

CinnandMegsMom

Cavy Slave
I have only been a piggy mom for a few weeks now. My girls were saved from a chain pet store and don't seem to like many fresh vegies. The older Cinn likes Romaine, cucumber, apple (sometimes), carrot (sometimes) and not much else besides Timothy Hay and pellets. Nutmeg is much younger and well she is a pig and will eat almost anything I offer. I've learned that Cinnamon really likes dehydrated red bell pepper and dehydrated carrots. I am lucky enough to have a store in town that sells organic foods. Non of what I purchase for the girls have nitrates and such. I do have Vit C drops in the water bottles. I've tried fresh orange, dried orange and they both pass over it.

My question is: In offering some dried vegies, is alot of the vitamin content lost?

Basically from what I have looked up, it says that dried fruit/veggies have next to no vitamins left. So I would recommend only giving fresh veggies and fruits. You can look here for more things you can try feeding her to see what she likes: https://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html My piggies don't like any fruits at all, except Ro Dah who will eat bananas. I would also recommend not putting vitamin drops in the water, this makes some pigs not want to drink as much of the water that they need. It also does not help much, because Vitamin C degrades in water, sun light, and air. So by the time your pig takes a drink, all that's left is some odd tasting water that makes them not want to drink it. You can give your pigs Oxbow vitamin C tablets though. They can be feed whole, or crushed over veggies or pellets.

Cutting up the veggies really small and mixing with the pellets also helps them get used to the new veggies, or you can grate it over the pellets. I know it seems like a pain because you have to throw out the pellets a few hours after mixing but it does help introduce the new food in a way that gets the to nibble. Sometimes it takes a long time for them to like it, or they wont like it at all even after weeks of trying (picky piggies!) but it is worth a shot to expand their pallets.

Cutting up the veggies really small and mixing with the pellets also helps them get used to the new veggies, or you can grate it over the pellets. I know it seems like a pain because you have to throw out the pellets a few hours after mixing but it does help introduce the new food in a way that gets the to nibble. Sometimes it takes a long time for them to like it, or they wont like it at all even after weeks of trying (picky piggies!) but it is worth a shot to expand their pallets.
Yes, this works.

Thank you for your suggestions. The girls are eating better now. :cheerful:

Glad your gals are expanding their horizons! Out of my two piggies, Amy eats almost anything while Borat is more picky. However, I've discovered that if I offer something and he doesn't try it the first time, he might actually eat it several days later. Keep trying and they might get a little more adventurous with things they previously turns their noses up at.

Thank you mufasa. Cinnamon is the picky eater and Nutmeg is more adventureous with food. I introduced a couple of new things (strawberry and green beans) along with foods they know. Nutmeg will go around the plate and sample everything. Cinn goes for what she knows. I was watching and Cinn actually grabbed a piece of strawberry out of Megs mouth. :eek: I guess she wasn't going to be shown up by her cage mate. They crack me up!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.