Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food Fresh Grass Question

Eimear

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

Quick question- my guinea pigs get loads of fresh grass, Im just wondering does it count just as their hay or does it count towards their daily fresh veggies too? (apologies if it's already been asked in a different thread)

It definitely doesn't qualify towards their Hay. Grass won't supplement the necessary Fiber and other nutrients that fresh Timothy Hay does. And, as far as veggies go, I wouldn't count it there either.

hay is grass, just dried, so yes it has more nutrients than hay.

They can have fresh grass hay. Just make sure it has no insecticides on it.

yes I know they can, my question was does it count as fresh veggies or hay

It counts as hay.

My piggies love fresh grass too, and get through rather a lot of it! It's their favourite food. Will it grind their teeth down as hay does? They also love the odd goji berry, which are rich in vitamin C.

Here is a pic of the girls relaxing after a meal... Pardon the manky walls - we're going to re-plaster once the weather warms up a bit, moving the piggies to the kitchen.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Fresh Grass Question

MY pigs love grass!! I'll post pictures later, when I take them out today.

Yes, grass will wear down teeth, even better than hay. As someone mentioned, hay is just dried grass, and so grass counts as hay. It doesn't have the vitamins that the pig gets from the veggies and greens, though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.