Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

free range hybrid? sort of?

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
i was sooo intrigued by the recent thread about free-range pigs!! i loved the idea, but the more i thought about it, i was limited in practical ways. i have some significant physical disabilities and right now, the cages are up and at just the right height for me to be able to clean them. i don't see how it would be possible for me to properly clean the pigs if they were on the floor. not to mention sharing nose kisses :eek: i was so disappointed.
but - i am not easily daunted, and came up with a hybrid of sorts. on the weekends, when i am home and have the extra time and energy, i can set them up with a large space and extended floor time - free-range for the day!!
so, there's a space about 15 feet by 4 feet (which i think is about 60 square feet, right) that i covered with blankets and towels. i plopped in hay and hideys and crumpled pieces of paper, etc. i did put a divider in the middle so i could put all five pigs down (they are housed in 2 separate cages normally).
they had a great time!! i can't wait to get to the dollar store and find other things to throw in there for them to explore and play with. they were so worn out at the end of the day that they've pretty much stretched out and passed out. oh, and i had plenty of time to give their cages a good cleaning.
tonight, my friends, there is a happy camper, and five happy pigs in new jersey! :D

Sounds like TONS OF FUN! Very creative! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.