Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Freaking out... What more can I do?

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
So I noticed Wibble's breathing was jerky this evening, rushed her to our emergency vets, who confirmed she has a URI. This is my worst nightmare. Her eyes are clear but she jerks when she breathes, is crackling and her nostrils are flaring. Also she is off her food and is just sort of laying down looking sorry for herself. The vet gave her a baytril injection which he said would cover her for 24 hours along with another injection of anti-inflammatory, and I am taking her to her regular vets tomorrow. About an hour ago after she pretty much ignored her evening feed, I got her out and hand-fed her a paste of pellets and veggies, she had a syringe and a half full, also I gave her a syringe of water. I'm planning to do this again at 6am and at 11ish before I go to work, as I'm worried malnutrition will cause further problems and I can't be around to watch her like a hawk to see if she's eating.

I am so scared. Is there anything else I can do to help her? It just seems like she has the worst luck in the world and I feel totally helpless, I'm petrified of losing her. Any responses would be greatly appreciated please :(

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
The regular vet should put her on a regimen of antibiotics with a probiotic which hopefully will help. It sounds like you are doing everything you can with what you have. How did the syringe feeding the pellet mash go? If she doesn't like it from the syringe, try offering it on a spoon. I had one pig who willingly and eagerly took Critical Care right from the spoon. Speaking of CC, if you happen to have a supply of it handy, now would be the time to use it.

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
This morning with the syringe was more difficult, but I did manage to get her to eat some fresh veg and a couple of grapes from my fingers. I only got a few mouthfuls of the paste into her, tried with a spoon and off the tip of my finger. In the end I was quite firm and had to force it into the side of her mouth :( She had maybe 6 or 7 mouthfuls, but then ate quite a lot of veg. I also gave her some water by syringe again. I also saw her take the odd bit of hay through the night (barely slept).

I'm getting worried about her sharing a cage to be honest. The vet advised her not to be seperated from the others but she won't come out of hideys because of them and I'm increasingly scared she's not drinking. Also I keep trying to put handfuls of hay and readigrass in the hideys to encourage her to keep eating, but the others are either eating it all or kicking her out. I'm not going to be home from work until about 7pm, my boyfriend till about 5, I'm very frightened she will dehydrate...

*Runs to look for CC online*

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
I made the tough call and put her in a seperate cage next to the CnC so she can still see and hear the others. I need her to eat and drink and see what she's eating and drinking, as well as see what she's passing. She's pooped a little while ago, they were smaller than usual and seemed to have a tiny bit of mucus on them. I have her booked into the vets at 6pm. Is she going to be ok through the day? I don't think I will be able to get a day off work, though if people think I need to go and see if I can beg a day off as holiday I'll try. Any thoughts please? Just given her another couple of 1cc syringes of water, though she spat a fair bit out >.<

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The smaller poops usually mean some dehydration, the mucus usually means some gastrointestinal distress. Is she eating at all?

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Update- I managed to get the day off and brought her appointment forwards, the vet gave her a second baytril injection and she starts on the oral suspension course tomorrow. She's eating some solid foods now in the way of small amounts of fresh veg alongside the paste every few hours, I've also given her a poop soup from one of our healthy girls to try and help her along. Her poops are a better shape now, though still soft and smaller than usual, but she's passing more, thank goodness. No sign of any more muccus, touch wood. She does seem to have brightened up a bit, eagerly tugging the veg from my hands and also being a bit cheeky again, chewing my t-shirt and the towels I've been using while feeding her. Her breathing also seems to have improved a bit, its a touch less rapid and jerky. Eyes are still clear. I should have some critical care arriving in the morning for her. Arranged continued feeds every three to four hours with my (blessedly) cavy savvy housemate who will be here when I'm not tomorrow and will be up during the night myself too. I don't think she's drinking on her own yet, but I am trying to get as much fluids into her as possible with syringes and washed veg... I don't know if this is enough but I'm a bit of a loss at what else to do...

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Wibble made it through a second night *Cheers* She's making lots of little poos, but they're coming out in little strings. She's not eating hay still or drinking from her bottle :( I managed to get some fresh grass into her this morning though, will this help with getting fibre into her? Also, I heard pumpkin was good for fibre, is that true? Can I give her pumpkin mash?

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Breakthrough! Cracked out the Oxbow Alfalfa as a last ditch attempt and she's eating it!

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Right, ordered some mroe alfalfa as I'm at the end of the bag and some oxbow Timothy. Hoping springing for the best stuff there is will encourage her to eat...

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
I've just watvhed her come out of her hidey and start tucking into some hay! Hopefully we're at a turning point....

Nix16

Cavy Slave
Sounds like your doing all the right things. You must be exhausted yourself. I hope wibble continues to improve, and you can get some rest.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You have been doing all the right things. Just make sure she is getting enough to eat. You can mix pumpkin into the mash or squash. You can use baby food too for some of the veggies if she isnt eating. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Settling in for a long night with Wibble. She seems to be improving, very slowly, but improving none the less. She was quite perky this morning, but I think the unpleasant task of the feedings is taking their toll, she looks quite sad when I pop her on my lap. I managed to get all of the baytril dose into her today, and she seems to have eaten some hay today, but is still not drinking from her bottle. I'm wondering whether I should take her for a subq treatment tomorrow. I'm getting fluids into her the best I can but am so worried it's not enough. Her poops are still abnormally small and soft, though definately more frequent. Also adding a drop of piggy vitamin c into her water syringe to try and ensure she's getting enough. I don't want scurvy on top of everything else... Struggling with the critical care as much as the home made mash annoyingly, but got a fair amount into her about 8. At least whatever CC I get into her should be more helpful than the stuff I made I guess.

Will be checking in throughout the night, just to have some company. Maybe I can snatch an hour sleep here and there hehe. Thanks for all the support guys, I feel very alone in this, it's great to have you guys to turn to.

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Feed from hell. I have to make the CC wetter than it says on the pack, I can't get it into her in the consitency it says. 3mls, maybe a little more of food, a ml maybe of poop soup, around 2 or 3 ml of water. Took me over an hour before I finally got a decent amound of paste into her, suddenly found a position where she couldn't fight me. She was so stressed and looked utterly exhausted by the end. I feel like a murderer. Going to trya nd get an hours sleep and cry a little.

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
Good luck Wibbles. You have a great momma and she's doing everything she can to keep you healthy. Please don't stop fighting.

Just keep doing what you're doing. My heart is with you on this one. I had a lot of the same issues as you and my baby didn't make it. He passed away last night.

Don't give up.

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss *offers massive cuddles*

Wibble and I are still here, out the other side of the third night. I think I have finally go the hang of feeding her, this morning I was able to get all of the CC I made up into her, about 8 or 9 1cc syringes worth. This feels like such a victory. I know we're not ok yet, but at least I feel some tiny slither of hope. That and she passed a couple of almost normal looking poops this morning. There was quite an impressive little pile she'd been working on since the 9 am feed, one string of sausages type bunch but the rest were firmer, bigger and stand alone.

She's still not drinking from her bottle. I've added a water bowl to the cage in the hopes it might coax her. But I've done the skin pinch test and it pinged back, so I'm still umming and aahing about whether to take her bake to the vets for fluids. I don't want to cause her any unnessecary stress, she's enduring so much already...

I'm exhausted. I'm tearful. But she's a defiant little thing and the bites and scratches on my hands are proof.

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
Good girl! Bites and scratches are good! We want her fighting every step of the way! If you get really worried about the lack of water, just feed her a syringe or two of water every so often. It won't hurt anything. The bowl of water is a great idea and the normal looking poops are encouraging. Positive thoughts for Wibble!

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Awh I feel for you! Hoping Wibble gets feeling better soon.

I'm on the tail end of just going through the same with my Marshmallow. I won't lie, it was about 3 weeks of not sleeping much; hand feeding, forcing water, trips to the vet and a lot of waking up every couple hours to check weights and tummy. My boy was good with his medicine and food though thankfully, I just don't think he had the fight in him to resist.

On the bright side though, Marshmallow is almost back to normal! He is still working on his weight, he lost a lot but we're getting it back up slowly. He is doing his zoomies, rumble-popping at his brother to re-establish his dominance and just being my silly little boy.

Keep up the great work, push fluids if you think she needs them (I did 1 syringe full every couple of hours), keep thinking positive and try to get a nap when you can although I know it's hard!

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone. Sadly, Wibble lost the fight this afternoon. We buried her in a plant pot with a peach rose bush over her, with all her favourite foods, her baby blanket that I used to handle her when she first came home and liked to hide in, and her toy mouse, who she would beat up and chew. We are all very sad right now, but would like to thank you for your continued advice, support and encouragement. Without you guys, I would not have got as far as I did with her. She made it a lot longer than I expected her to, and now finally gets to rest.

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
Oh, honey. I am so sorry. I know it's a horrible thing. At least you tried!!! I know a lot of people think piggie lovers like us are wasting our time and money with vet visits and what not, especially when they don't make it in the end. But you did the right thing, fighting for her for as long as you did. RIP Wibble. My heart goes out to you. If you need to talk, don't hesitate to message me. :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.