Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Four rescued piggies, need advice

Fujiko

Cavy Slave
Remember my (broken link removed) about the guinea pigs in the classifieds, and I wanted to rescue them? So, I drove five hours today and did just that. I HAD to. (I think I'll be staying away from the classifieds from now on, darn curiosity!) I have a few questions about the four guinea pigs I helped out.

First, I was wondering what breeds they are, as descriptions on the internet are no help to me.

In regards to Lambchop (the only one named thusfar), I didn't know you could cross a guinea pig and a sheep. That's exactly what he looks like. The other baby is also a "he", and his fur has no whorls at all.

I'm currently in the process of building their C&C cages. Right now the three boys are separated from mama pig, and mama pig is crying for the rest of them. It's so sad.

I don't know what to do about the mama's and Lambchop's fur, as there is no way I can get a comb through it. Mama pig's fur is really matted. How do you care for a Guinea Sheep?

The place was about how I imagined it: the cage was outdoors, wood and chicken mesh, and about the dimensions of a 1x2 (C&C equivalent). They were all mixed up, living next to the rabbit hutch (which is the same size and has two rabbits still living there, one of which had a crusty eye). There was fresh greens in the gp cage though, so at least they didn't live off pellets or anything. (Still.) The lady hadn't even given them names.

I didn't see any visible parasites in their fur. They aren't scratching at all. I've held all of them except mama pig, and only because she is 1.5x the size of papa pig and that freaks me out. She is so huge! Longer and wider. There's a good chance she's preggers again. I don't want to make her angry, although she was chattering her teeth at me when I was trying to brush her. They are all very skiddish, as to be expected since they were never handled as pets and they had a heck of a day. Their nails aren't very long, but they are very sharp!

Also, I was going to give them baths, but the only ones who look like they need it are Lambchop and Mama pig (esp. mama). But should I bathe them all so they all smell the same?

Any advice (esp from rescuers who know the kinds of problems pigs living outdoors have) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Fujiko:love:

jeza921

Cavy Slave
Wow, you've got quite a pickle there. I can't offer you any advice, but kudos to you for taking such a burden on yourself. Good luck, and the babies are cute as buttons. Mama pig looks very dejected. Poor thing needs some serious love.

Amanda
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Upper left looks like a Broken Peruvian cross. Maybe an Abbyruvian. Top right looks like an Broken American or American cross. Bottom left looks like a Sheltie/Texel or even a Coronet/Texel cross, and bottom right looks like maybe a Texel/American cross.

Fujiko

Cavy Slave
How fast do the fur grow back?

Amanda
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Hair grows approximetely one inch a month for long haired pigs.

WendyK

Cavy Slave
What about the brown nose on the mama pig - maybe some Hymilayan in there?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
She might be a himi if her ears are dark brown.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
They look like mutts lol There's no way your going to get through that mess without hurting the pigs. I agree with just shaving them but you'd probably need a good pair of animal clippers to do it. Maybe a dog groomer would do it for you. I wouldn't think they'd charge much if anything.

Fujiko

Cavy Slave
I feel so bad for the mama pig. I had two cages next to each other, and she pushed her hidey box over and jumped in with the boys again! I separated them again, and I hope she stays put. Her walls are higher now. She is so lonely by herself. Now she has to get a haircut...yikes. I bet once she hears those clippers coming toward her, she will freak out.

How do I prevent Lambchop from getting his hair matted? Just brush it every day?

Johanna

Cavy Slave
I used to cut the hair off my long hair pig in the summer when I didnt have air conditioning. It grew back very fast. You need to cut off their hair. when it grows back it will look much healthier.

pennick

Cavy Slave
What beautiful piggies. I especially love the sheep looking one. Never saw one like that. Absolutely gorgeous.

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
That was so good of you, Fujiko! However, let it be a warning for me. I check the classifieds too, but not as far west as Bismarck. Now I don't have to check Fargo knowing you are! ;) I guess I should learn a lesson from your experience, but I'm sure I won't. My hubby cut me off at 4, but he DID say I could foster any guineas that will be euthanized otherwise.

If they have mites, it could take awhile for the scratching to start. Mine didn't scratch right away. Just keep an eye on them. If they do start scratching, don't make the mistake I did. Skip the skin scrapping test and just give them the medicine.

Good luck and keep us up to date on your new adventure!

Squirle

Cavy Slave
I would say the first is a Abby X sheltie
the one next to it is a short hair or mixed with a short haired one
the one under the first is a texel X sheltie
and the on next to that is a texel.

Thoses are jsut guesses but i think thats is what they might be. hope I was a bit of a help :D

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
Lambchop is very cute. If I was near you, I would love to help. I would shave the fur off (you can use a cat hair trimmer), then bath anyone who is not preg. I would not bath the mother pig (too much stress). That was really good of you to take in all those pigs. I am sure that in their little piggy minds, they are greatful to you! Good luck! :0)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Treat them all for mites whether you think they have them or not. You can treat them yourself following the dosage instructions at guinealynx. It won't hurt them.

Papa Pig looks to me like an Abyruvian, Baby pig 1 looks like an american or american mix, not sure on Mama Pig, maybe a silkie mix, and Baby pig 2 looks like a texel or a texel mix. I so wish I lived closer to you. I love that little Lambchop. They are all beautiful pigs. If you aren't sure that mama is pregnant again and you can't tell by feeling, it's fine to give her a bath.

Johanna

Cavy Slave
How did you know that you needed to rescue these pigs? did the ad in the paper say that they were in bad shape? was it a Fargo ad? I read the classified as well, but its hard to tell if a guinea pig needs saving or not. Are you going to keep all four of them? I really like the lamb looking one.

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
Treat them all for mites whether you think they have them or not. You can treat them yourself following the dosage instructions at guinealynx. It won't hurt them.

I agree with Ly on this. You don't want to go through what my Boys and I went through. They even had sores from scratching. When it got bad, it got bad FAST! It's not worth taking the chance, especially considering how little this lady cared about them.

You can save a lot of money giving them the medicine yourself. I paid $6-$7/pig per dose, and each received 3 doses. Plus the initial vet visit which was almost $60. I guess it is just if you feel comfortable doing it yourself. You'll need to know the exact weights of the pigs to know what is the correct dosage to give.

Fujiko

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all of your great advice! I will be looking on GL for mite treatments.

These piggies are really skiddish, but they seem so sweet underneath. You should see how well Papa pig protects his babies. I have a step stool as a hidey house and they hide behind him underneath it. Sometimes you can see their little noses poking out of the corners. It's cute.

It's a little warm in my apartment, so while I was waiting for the AC to kick in, I put some ice cubes in their cages, and Mama Pig went right over to hers and laid on it! I wonder if she even felt it underneath her wool.

I had another question: if Mama pig is pregnant again, she shouldn't deliver for about another month if my math is correct. By that time she would be in quarantine for over the recommended time. I feel so badly about her being by herself. If I know that she isn't harboring any parasites/illnesses by the end of three weeks, can I or should I introduce her to my two sows, so she can live with them for companionship and help with the babies (if there are any)? I'm not planning on keeping her and the male that she is bonded with (Papa pig), but I don't want her to be alone if she doesn't have to. Will it mess things up more than it will help?

Johanna, the classified just said "free guinea pigs" and had a phone number. I was really only curious and maybe interested in another female (I wanted to increase my herd to 4 sows), but as the lady was talking about them, I found out about how bad off they were. I could tell she didn't know how to care for them AND it sounded like she didn't care to know, anyway. I thought about how hot it is in that part of the state this time of year, and I just couldn't let them stay there and hope it all worked out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.