Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Found a dead animal in SPS hay... (WARNING: disturbing image)

Geranium

Cavy Slave
Last night I was exhausted, but before passing out entirely I was sure to fill up the water bottle and grab a couple handfuls of hay for the guineas. To my terrible surprise, when I woke up this morning I found a clump of fur and bones in the hay pile around the hay rack. Initially I thought they had torn out the stuffing from their cuddle cup, but it was intact. Frantically I checked them over to make sure it wasn't their fur, again they were fine. After further examination I deduced that it was in fact the remains of an animal—my guess is a rat. I was absolutely terrified and disgusted, but was sure to snap some pictures before throwing it out. They're attached below, but I warn you, it is disturbing.

IMG_7319.jpgIMG_7318.jpg

I just wanted you guys to be aware that this was found in a batch of timothy hay from Small Pet Select that I ordered within the past month. I have had trouble with them once before in that there was an extreme amount of mud and weeds in a batch last spring. Mud and weeds are way more understandable that an animal carcass.

Has anyone had a similar experience and should I worry that the guineas were exposed to this overnight? I feel terrible that I didn't notice it. I will be reporting this to Small Pet Select, but do you think the rest of the hay is contaminated and should be thrown out?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's hay, people. Dead animals, sticks, weeds, everything you can think of winds up in it. Throw the critter out and move on.

If you don't want dead animals in your hay, it means that the companies that sell it will have to inspect every bale/box/package of it. Want to pay $10 a pound for hay?

Geranium

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I expect them to be able to pick out a decomposing rat from a 5lb box of hay, as they even say their hay is "hand packaged". It's nearly a foot long and could have/could be carrying all sorts of contaminants. This is not quality hay if it is carrying a decaying creature and should not be brushed off from the company that states "the sole purpose of Small Pet Select is to find the highest quality timothy hay in the world". Ordering from a company that has such high claims should not be packaging off dead animals. I can understand if I drove a couple hours north and picked up a barrel of hay from the farm, but that is not the case.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If they say "hand packaged," then I agree with you. But if it comes in a box or a bale, all bets are off.

Geranium

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I understand where you're coming from, but their site under "our process" states, "Small Pet Select timothy hay undergoes a quality control process second to none. We're a very small operation with limited volume, meaning we're able to watch closely while hand packaging the timothy hay… This ensures the quality of timothy hay in each and every box is top of the line."

pinky

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I expect them to be able to pick out a decomposing rat from a 5lb box of hay, as they even say their hay is "hand packaged". It's nearly a foot long and could have/could be carrying all sorts of contaminants. This is not quality hay if it is carrying a decaying creature and should not be brushed off from the company that states "the sole purpose of Small Pet Select is to find the highest quality timothy hay in the world". Ordering from a company that has such high claims should not be packaging off dead animals. I can understand if I drove a couple hours north and picked up a barrel of hay from the farm, but that is not the case.

I think they should be able to catch something like that in a 5 lb box of hay but I wouldn't expect them to be able to examine 25 or 50 lb boxes that are compressed to fit in the box... My question to you is why would you order a 5 lb box of hay? That would probably only last a matter of days.

Geranium

Cavy Slave
@pinky I'm being dumb, I order the 10lb. I only have two pigs so this usually lasts a while without me having to spend a ton at once.

Any opinions on whether to throw out the rest of this batch?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Is it very well decomposed? If so, I'd just toss whatever was touching it and use the rest. My guess is that you'll get a free box since it states it was supposed to be inspected.

Geranium

Cavy Slave
It really just appeared to be fur and bones. I asked them for a refund so hopefully it will just be that, I'm not too inclined to receive any more hay from them.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
If it was my box, I would email them for a small credit, I'd never expect my 50lb to be hand inspected as in its in flakes and I believe it comes that way( I know your box was smaller and it should have been found). I would scoop all around it, throw that away and use the rest. I have been getting their hay and and on for over 2 years and had no problems, just one of those freaky things, someone grabbed a large handful of hay and it looked fine and in between the hay was that.

pinky

Cavy Slave
If they hadn't stated the contents were inspected, I wouldn't have requested a refund or credit, although I would have still contacted them. Since they didn't inspect it, I think they owe you a free box and an apology.

Geranium

Cavy Slave
I've always enjoyed their emails and products, but I've been thinking about switching to KMS for a while and this is a great excuse to go ahead. I know I can't expect perfect hay, but I've had some really brown batches, the mentioned muddy batch, and now this. It might just be my luck @lunarminx as I've been on a streak lately, but I can't see myself ordering from them again. I'm glad you've always had a positive experience and I'm sure you will continue to!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I've always enjoyed their emails and products, but I've been thinking about switching to KMS for a while and this is a great excuse to go ahead. I know I can't expect perfect hay, but I've had some really brown batches, the mentioned muddy batch, and now this. It might just be my luck @lunarminx as I've been on a streak lately, but I can't see myself ordering from them again. I'm glad you've always had a positive experience and I'm sure you will continue to!

Try KMS they have great hay too but remember things happen, until this time you have always had a great experience with them, so give them another chance one day. I do switch back and forth between KMS and SPS.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've ordered Oxbow orchard grass for years with no problems. They're really good about standing behind their products. One time I had a partial flake in a 50 lb box that was yellow and they replaced it for me. I order from either DrsFoster&Smith.com or FreshPetDirect.com when it's on sale with free shipping. I usually pay about $58 to $60 for 50 lbs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.