Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Found a Crawly on Sheldon

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
This poor boy can't catch a break!

Had to go to the vet today to get a different medication for Sheldon's conjunvtivitis. The conjunctiva is still pink and bubbly, but his eye isn't crusty anymore and it's not looking as pink.

When I got home we were cuddling, and I saw a long, thin, white crawly on a strand of hair. I'm worried about Penny and that she maybe has it too. Shelly's in quarantine but I'm still worried that Penny somehow maybe has it also.

What works best for lice? Revolution, Advantage, or Ivermectic? I treated Penny for mites with Revolution when I adopted her about a month ago. Does Revolution work well for lice?
I'm going to get enough stuff to treat Penny also, just in case she starts showing signs.

Thanks for any replies!
I guess this will prolong our quarantine :(

All three will work, but I believe Revolution is considered the best, with Advantage second and ivermectin a distant third for lice. It'll get anything else that's there, as well.

Thanks BP! Hopefully we can get in to the vet tomorrow and I will request Revolution. I will also get enough to treat Penny just in case.

I know on GL it says lice is species specific, but is it always? I'm worried about my doggies and chinchilla.

Your other guinea pigs are at risk but not other species. You can easily transmit eggs from your hands or clothing by handling Sheldon and your other ones. What you've described sounds like running lice and they can run so your cages need to be nowhere near one another.

Penny is upstairs, and Sheldon is currently downstairs in a quarantine cage. I've been careful with washing my hands, but since I've been so worried about his eye, I haven't been careful enough about my clothing. Should I just treat Penny also?

Penny is upstairs, and Sheldon is currently downstairs in a quarantine cage. I've been careful with washing my hands, but since I've been so worried about his eye, I haven't been careful enough about my clothing. Should I just treat Penny also?

It wouldn't hurt since Revolution will also treat for mites.

Okay, I'll treat them both.

Penny had her first dose of Revolution on Jan. 27th, and then her second dose on Feb. 10. She was treated for suspected mites. Will it hurt her to be treated again to clear up this lice situation?

Just got back from the vet. I got Revolution for both Sheldon and Penny. I also got Baytril pills to make sure his wound doesn't get infected and to see if that helps with his eye at all. I am to continue with the Garasone eye drops.

Now we are wondering if it's Pea Eye instead of an infection. My vet says she doesn't know if it's contaigous or not, but since he has been on antibacterial eye drops for a week with little results, she doubts that it is.

Since both Sheldon and Penny are on Revolution, and because she's leaning towards his eye problem not being contaigous, she said that they don't have to be separated for much longer. I'm just going to give the Baytril for a bit to see if that changes anything.
I honestly hate giving antibiotics. I always have the worst luck, and end up force feeding a very sad pig. I will for sure also be giving a probiotic.

Without reading back, why did you separate them in the first place?

I guess I never posted a picture. I'm getting lost with what I post here and what I post on GL :S

I'll attach a picture of his eye. I felt terrible flashing him with my camera. I had to because my camera sucks when the flash is turned off. I took it from far back and zoomed in on his eye once I took the pic.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Found a Crawly on Sheldon

Could this be pea eye?

Also, how long does the Revolution take to start to kill off these nasty little buggers? It makes me sad when I'm trying to cuddle Sheldon and I see one crawling about :(

No, it's not pea eye.

The Revolution should take care of the lice pretty quick.

I am assuming Sheldon is neutered?

How is his eye?

It's the same. He's been on two different drops and an antibiotic. I have no idea what it could be. My vet said it could possibly be cherry eye, but you don't think so? Is cherry eye the same as a prolapsed gland?

I just don't know anymore! There isn't any gunk or crust. He's not rubbing it. Sometimes the pink bubbly appears, and sometimes it's not there. His eyes were crusty when I adopted him, but he was housed on wood shavings, so I wonder if it was from the shavings. It doesn't seem to bother him or his vision. When I touch the lid to get a closer look he isn't bothered by it.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.