Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues Fostering?

Gigabyte

Cavy Slave
After Gigabyte passed away a week ago (it seems so long), it has been really lonely. I have the space, time, and love - but not too much money to devote to a pig. So I asked my local cavy shelter about fostering! And I might be getting a home visit soon.
I went down to originally clean cages, write the newsletter, and all that jazz. And somehow walked out with foster papers! Oh goodness. Is it too soon? I miss GB and know that I am not replacing him, just helping the shelter get guinea pigs into new homes. lol

What do you all think? The feed and bedding and such is provided by the shelter. All I have to do is care for the guinea pig. I might be getting a young male in need of manners. Any ideas on that one?

All in all - anyone have tips on fostering?

I'm still fixing up the 3x2 cage I have, trying to make it stand up on C&C grids.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Congrats on deciding to become a foster, it is so rewarding! Typically the only cost to the foster is the veggies.

Only tip I have is to give him lots of love. A little boy would be so much fun, that is what I am hoping for next.

Gigabyte

Cavy Slave
Congrats on deciding to become a foster, it is so rewarding! Typically the only cost to the foster is the veggies.

Only tip I have is to give him lots of love. A little boy would be so much fun, that is what I am hoping for next.

Well, I just couldn't resist...I think I have a guinea pig addiction. My mom, whom I don't live with anymore because she's emotionally abusive, got so mad I that I went to the guinea pig shelter to donate GB's perishables. She was all "ANOTHER ONE?! They aren't WORTH IT!" Worth what? My time, love, and the occasional vet visit.
I have never had a guinea pig get sick like GB did, apparently it doesn't happen often.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I'm so happy your thinking about fostering! I'm sure GB would love for a homeless guy to get the loving care you provided him. If you do decide after you get him home that it's just to hard then I'm sure the shelter would be understanding about it. Remember the heart has an endless sully of love and you don't have to remove any love you have(for GB) in order to fit more in! Wishing you the best!

Gigabyte

Cavy Slave
My boyfriend and I are thinking it over for a bit. This won't be until we've gotten GB's ashes back and mourned properly for a week or so. Plus, my bf just got out of the ER last night because some drunk driver hit him and he's aching.

I am sure I will be delighted to have another pig in my house! It just sounds right in heart and mind. The rescue owner and I really connected so I hope all goes well. I'm not sure if I want to continue with my fleece bedding idea or not...I've never done that whole deal before. But if it makes it cheaper for the rescue, then I'd do it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.