Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Fostering: A Thought Just Occurred to Me...

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Okay, so my dad won't let me get another guinea pig, for reasons unknown. But I wonder if he's let me foster for a rescue or something?! Maybe then he'd be able to see what it's like having another pig in the house and he'd let me get Ginger a friend! What do you guys think? I know that some of you are parents, so I'd like your input. What do you think he'll say?

Also, what's it like fostering?

Thanks guys!

-Ariona :)

I think it's a good idea. You can explain to your father that it's not a permanent commitment, like adopting would be, and the rescue usually pays for vet expenses if necessary.
My only advice is to expect fall in love and wind up keeping the foster lol

It's the same with my dad, except my guinea pig will not and does not get along with any other guinea pigs, so it's not as big of a deal that he won't let me adopt another pig. My dad does let me foster one guinea pig at a time (I've had two at once a couple of times, but he wasn't very happy) and it helps my guinea pig because she likes living next to other guinea pigs but just not with them.

I have been fostering over a year (wow I can't believe that!!) for an amazing small animal rescue that is local to me. At first I thought it would be really hard to have my foster adopted, and trust me it is, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. It helps to think about all the other guinea pigs that need to be rescued, and having mine adopted means I can help more. The rescue I volunteer and foster for has adoption events, so if my foster is adopted during the event then I just foster another one that needs fostering that wasn't adopted at the event. So I almost always have two guinea pigs, unless sports keep me from having time.

I think it's a great idea, and you should definitely go for it :) Make sure you have enough room and resources for another cage for a foster and sometimes rescues want you to volunteer with them for a couple week before they will let you foster! My cage is the way it is just so it is big enough to be divided to house 1-2 guinea pigs on each half so I can foster :) (I think you've seen pictures of it on the cage thread)

Good luck! :)

I second Cavyness. It's so easy to fall in love with them, and so hard to give them to a new family. Are you sure you're ready for the heartbreak if someone wants to adopt them?

That's the thing, I am not sure if I'd be able to take the heartbreak if the foster(s) was/were adopted. We are moving back into my house tonight so maybe we can talk and he'll just decide that I can get another anyway lol

I know you have been following my threads.

(that's all)

I just thought that if you ever needed a fellow Cavy lovers opinion on Rescuing and my story I know you have been following Lila's story.

;)

Ooooooh....I thought I was being accused as a stalker for a minute :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.