Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General fostering a pregnant piggie -- pups are here

sherri86

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I have 8 sweet male piggies of my own. I have taken in a pregnant pig to foster for the local county shelter. I have alfalfa based pellets for her and occasional alfalfa hay. Can someone give me the links that have the information on taking care of her, and her babies when they come, and how to possibly tell how far along she is etc.

She was found in a box with 4 other pigs on the side of the road in 100 degree weather, unfortunately one of the pigs passed on the next day at the shelter. So sad to know there are people like that in this world. I just hope karma comes back to bite them in the u know :)

Thank you
Sherri

Re: fostering a pregnant piggie

Thanks for taking her in!

Read the links in here.

Thanks bpatters, but I am not seeing any links, could you try sending them again

:) [
QUOTE=bpatters;990990]Thanks for taking her in!

Read the links in here.[/QUOTE]

Yep, thanks.

This is a picture of my preggy pig
im thinking she is 6-8 weeks along ?
i know it's impossible to know exactly, but if anyone has an opinion pleas chime in

Attachments

IMG_0324.jpg

She looks like a peanut butter cup with her coloring. I know this is off topic but could you put up a picture of her face? What's her name?

I was not going to name her because I didn't want to get too attached, but I already am. :) I named her Sweet Pea, I just hope I have the strength to give her and the babies back. I know I will want to keep them, but I already have 8 boys and no more room for cages. Here is a picture [GuineaPigCages.com] fostering a pregnant piggie -- pups are here

I have a Midwest cage with a coroplast bottom, 6" on two sides and 12' or so on the ends. Is this baby proof enough? or do I need to put cardboard along the shorter sides?

Thanks

I don't think a Midwest will need baby-proofing, but maybe someone who has one can measure the gap between the wires and see how large it is.

The gap is an inch wide , thanks for your help

Thank you , and definitely will , lots of pictures. The babies are so precious

You won't need to babyproof.

still on baby watch , think she is close though. she is a lot bigger and her tummy feels really tight. Her pelvic bones are about 1 to 1/2 inch apart and her nipples are protruding much more. I never really noticed them before. I only hold her once a day just to make sure the babies are moving. Have not heard teeth grinding yet though. lots of pictures when they arrive, just praying for a safe and healthy delivery !

The babies are here !! I must be psychic ��
Didnt see the birth , bummer
went to check on her after giving her , her dinner
noticed she had not ate , then saw her cleaning up the babies
she had 5 altogether, one stillborn ����
only thought she had 2 or 3 in there
she is being a good mom too, staying with them in her cavy cave & letting them nurse
such an awsome experience ������[GuineaPigCages.com] fostering a pregnant piggie -- pups are here[GuineaPigCages.com] fostering a pregnant piggie -- pups are here[GuineaPigCages.com] fostering a pregnant piggie -- pups are here[GuineaPigCages.com] fostering a pregnant piggie -- pups are here

Sorry one didn't make it. Wow five is a large number. Four still large. I'm betting you are going to keep sweet pea!

Beautiful, mine had five also one stillborn my mama was opposite coloring than yours buff with the brown

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I wish I could keep her, but I have all male pigs. I am hoping maybe my neighbor takes her and a baby. It will be hard to send them back to the shelter, but I do know one of the animal control officer's there and she loves guinieas too and will make sure they get a good home

If anyone is interested in adopting, I am in Sacramento and when the babies are old enough they will go back to the county shelter on Bradshaw. Only $5 to adopt. I will try and sex them in a couple weeks. I can hold them for anyone who is interested. Let me know. I will post more pictures soon

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.