Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Forever in my heart, Checkers. Now what?

HappyPiggy

Cavy Slave
This post is in memory of my beloved piggy, Checkers, who died last night in my arms. She was so beautiful with her white fur and orange and black checker boxes on her back. Most stunning of all were her blazing blue eyes. She will be missed by all and so will be babies she was carrying. . .

I also have a question for my remaining guinea pigs.

I have 4 males, Elliot, Hurley, Reese, and Bear, who all live together (minus Elliot for now who is getting over a skin infection) and i have one remaining female, Sandstorm. Bear is her brother and she's still really attached to him. I was wondering if I should get another female for her to live with or if she'd be ok just looking in on the males. Would she be happier with a friend she can touch?

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. Yes it would be better for her to have a friend that she can snuggle and live with.

cam767

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy loosing a beloved. If possible it would be better to get her a friend. The other option would be to get Bear neutered and after healing have him as her cage mate if they get along well. Just another thought.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Poor little Checkers! I am sorry for your loss!
Do you mean that she died when pregnant and the babies died too?

HappyPiggy

Cavy Slave
Poor little Checkers! I am sorry for your loss!
Do you mean that she died when pregnant and the babies died too?

Unfortunately yes. . . :weepy:

We tried the hardest we could to save her, but when a guinea pig chokes it's almost impossible to help them. At least she wasn't too far along and the babies hadn't begun to kick yet or anything. :weepy:

I'll always miss Checkers. i listen to her song everyday (the song that played when she died) I feel horrible that the babies had to die to, but i guess that's the circle of life. And if their father, and Checkers's mate, Hurley can move on slowly then i can too.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Well I'm still sorry, but....why were you letting Hurley and Checkers have babies? Breeding guinea pigs is hard on the females -- mortality is over 20%--and there are already so many piggies in the world who need homes.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yes, please don't intentionally breed ! I am sorry for your loss, also.

HappyPiggy

Cavy Slave
Well I'm still sorry, but....why were you letting Hurley and Checkers have babies? Breeding guinea pigs is hard on the females -- mortality is over 20%--and there are already so many piggies in the world who need homes.

I wasn't letting them breed. All of my piggies and rabbits are rescues. Someone accidentally mixed Checkers and Hurley together while I was at work.

I'm aware of the dangers of breeding and since i rescue animals from very abusive places, i know how many there are out there. I had plans for all the babies and Checkers was being monitored closely with a vet on call. But this happens sometimes with abused animals. You can't save them all but that doesn't stop you from trying.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
I am very sorry for your loss.

Someone accidentally mixed Checkers and Hurley together while I was at work.

Who? Someone in your house?

Cogni

Cavy Slave
I wasn't letting them breed. All of my piggies and rabbits are rescues. Someone accidentally mixed Checkers and Hurley together while I was at work.

I'm aware of the dangers of breeding and since i rescue animals from very abusive places, i know how many there are out there. I had plans for all the babies and Checkers was being monitored closely with a vet on call. But this happens sometimes with abused animals. You can't save them all but that doesn't stop you from trying.

I am glad you are a rescuer. Hope you can keep your different-sexed piggies apart and that they all enjoy long happy lives.

HappyPiggy

Cavy Slave
I usually do keep them apart. Those who help me out need a little intruction though

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
I usually do keep them apart. Those who help me out need a little intruction though

Shouldn't you have told those to not put the seperate sexed piggies together? I can't imagine it would be that hard to say "okay, don't put the girl and boy piggies together".

HappyPiggy

Cavy Slave
Shouldn't you have told those to not put the seperate sexed piggies together? I can't imagine it would be that hard to say "okay, don't put the girl and boy piggies together".

I do but they think "as long as we can keep them from touching each other they can play together"

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
Sorry for your loss. *hugs*
Thanks for rescuing.
Can you put the pictures of the piggies on the cage they belong to? Maybe it would help your helpers :) Just a thought I had.

HappyPiggy

Cavy Slave
Sorry for your loss. *hugs*
Thanks for rescuing.
Can you put the pictures of the piggies on the cage they belong to? Maybe it would help your helpers :) Just a thought I had.

I don't have a picture of checkers but i will put up some of Elliot, Reese, Hurley, Bear, Sandstorm, and Azalea (Elliot's best friend who passed away in July)

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I am sincere in my condolences on your loss of Checkers. But, in regard to your first post, please don't bring another female into the house if you cannot guarantee she'll not get pregnant. It is very, very risky for adult females to get pregnant and many die during pregnancy or during delivery or shortly after. It is not a kindness to rescue a female when there is a chance she'll become pregnant in your house.

HappyPiggy

Cavy Slave
she wont become pregnant. I take very good care of my animals. The first time was just an accident caused by someone who doesnt have too much experience with guinea pigs and i will personally make sure it doesn't happen again.

Piggilicious

Cavy Slave
So sorry to hear about your little Checkers. Also sorry to see how critical people are of you in your time of sorrow. Accidents happen people, lighten up.

Stacy123

Cavy Slave
So sorry to hear about your little Checkers. Also sorry to see how critical people are of you in your time of sorrow. Accidents happen people, lighten up.

I agree. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for being a rescuer. Mistakes happen. I'm sure you are hurting bad enough over the loss of your pet without being criticized. I love Shurrim's idea of taking pictures of your piggies and putting them on the cages. That way, whoevers helping will know what pig goes in what cage. Hugs to you!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Was it can adult who put the guinea pigs together? If it's a child, I don't think I'd risk bringing another female in because it could happen again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.