Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Forever Alone?

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
Well, I'm TRYING to get my parents to let me have a C&C cage... I talked to the lady at the rescue and she said if my parents do let me have a C&C and another pig, I can bring him in and she will try to bond him with another guy. But she said that he might not since he's been alone all his life. So does anyone else have a long pig? I'm so afraid that he won't get along with ANYONE. But then again, I don't have to worry right now.. I don't even have a C&C :(

Aleks

Cavy Slave
George has been alone his whole life. I adopted a friend for him not even a week ago, but they haven't been introduced yet. I know exactly how you feel, i'm so nervous about whether or not they'll get along.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I adopted a 3 year old boar who had been alone his whole life. He fit right in with my bonded pair of boars like they had live together their whole lives.

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I really think it just depends on the pig itself. I have 7 pigs, all boars. I have tried everyone in a pair, trio, and a group of 4. I can't seem to get more than 2 boars to get along, so I now have 3 pairs, and one solo. My solo pig, Guinea has been tried 2 times with 2 different herds and it never works out.
He seems perfectly fine by himself, but I do have his cage connected to Guinness and Chewy's so he does get some contact with the others.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I've had many, many males and only one who just refuses to live with another adult boy. I have him and another male in a divided 2x8 and even though their interaction is only through the cage bars, they really benefit from the companionship, so maybe in the rare event your pig won't get along with another male you can have a setup like that one for them.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I had a female that couldn't even be placed near another guinea pig because she'd instantly go into attack mode. However, she was really bonded to us. I wondered if she thought she was human and she preferred the company of humans. We kept her cage closest to the refrigerator where she could be near us when we were in the kitchen or eating. We gave her tons of attention and I have no doubt that she was very happy. She reminded me more of a dog than a guinea pig.

SammyJoey

Cavy Slave
I adopted 2 boars from our local shelter. They had come from separate homes and were living alone. At the shelter, we put them in a big play pen and watched how they reacted to each other. They did pretty well overall. I decided to take the chance and bring them home. Over the course of about 1 week, we introduced them to our home and each other. They have been together about 3 months now. They seem pretty happy. They chase each other and often sleep close to each other.

Mowgs

Cavy Slave
My female piggy that I adopted back in March just doesn't seem to want to share her living space. I recently reintroduced them and they did fairly well during floor time but overnight something happened again and my male was so terrified of her that he ran away from his food bowl if she was within like 10 inches of him (and i had multiple bowls, water bottles and hay racks). They're cage is divided right now and they seem to be fine with it. I'm still looking to get a new girl for my male and will try one more reintroduction once my shampoo gets here from the UK, but I feel she might just not want to share. She also has sludge in her bladder, so sometimes I think that's part of it and she just doesn't want another piggy possibly bother her.

If you introduction doesn't go well when you introduce them, I'd just keep their cages near each other so they can still sniff and see each other.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
I had a sow that was alone for 2 years before she bonded right away with my bonded pair I adopted.

I think what you need to pull from all of this information is that you shouldn't quit trying. Personally I think that if you can't even try to pair him with another boar, you should seriously consider rehoming him.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I had a sow that was alone for 2 years before she bonded right away with my bonded pair I adopted.

I think what you need to pull from all of this information is that you shouldn't quit trying. Personally I think that if you can't even try to pair him with another boar, you should seriously consider rehoming him.

There are some guinea pigs that won't tolerate another one. In a case like that, I don't think the answer is to rehome them. Give them a lot of personal attention and they will be happy. If they've bonded to you, it seems sad to remove them from the one other creature they want to be around. My Pikachu loved us as much as we loved her.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
There are some guinea pigs that won't tolerate another one. In a case like that, I don't think the answer is to rehome them. Give them a lot of personal attention and they will be happy. If they've bonded to you, it seems sad to remove them from the one other creature they want to be around. My Pikachu loved us as much as we loved her.
I agree. But in order to find out if the pig truly is that way, you've got to at least try. The OP is talking about not even being able to try to introduce the pig to others. Personally I just don't find that fair to the pig.

If the OP does try and it turns out he doesn't get along with anyone, then definitely. But I think all possibilities should be ruled out first.

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
i have one piggie whos never seen another pig but when she meet Zoey its like there were never apart and i have another that hates every single one she met.It all depends on who your pig wants! hahaha there sooo funny

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
One of the boys to come in the rescue had lived alone all his life (after being taken any from mum and litter mates)...he was 4 years old when he came here...
We took the risks and did intros with him and a fella who was found in the park (so we have no background history of him)...they both are best buds now..

I wouldn't not try a buddy with him. What about a spayed girl?

NormaS

Cavy Slave
I believe the OP is willing to try and get him a companion. Hence the talking to parents about a new cage and the visit to the shelter. But she is understandably worried about things going bad during introductions. I think most introductions do go well. You see problems here because this is a forum and we all come here for advice when we have problems. Do try and get your pig a companion. My older pig has been alone since I don't know when. I got him on February and he was alone in his cage at the pet shop (rookie mistake). I got another pig 2 weeks ago and just smelling and listening to another pig has been beneficial. If the vet gives me the all clear for the new pig on Friday I will do introductions during the weekend.

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
George has been alone his whole life. I adopted a friend for him not even a week ago, but they haven't been introduced yet. I know exactly how you feel, i'm so nervous about whether or not they'll get along.

Hooray! Thank goodness I'm not the only one alone! C:

And yes, if my parents allow me, I WILL get him introduced with another pig.

lexi43

Cavy Slave
We have 7 guinea pigs. All in the Family Mom is in one cage with Oreo from the first litter. Dad is in another cage with his son Reeses. The rest of the story gets confusing because the vet we took them to to have them sexed told me we had one girl and one boy. I found out that there were two boys. Now we have the two babies from the last litter on in a cage together. Cisco who is almost 8 years old is in a cage by himself. He used to have a companion but when Poncho died last year he perferred to be alone. We tried to put another pig in but he was very unhappy.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I believe the OP is willing to try and get him a companion. Hence the talking to parents about a new cage and the visit to the shelter. But she is understandably worried about things going bad during introductions. I think most introductions do go well. You see problems here because this is a forum and we all come here for advice when we have problems. Do try and get your pig a companion. My older pig has been alone since I don't know when. I got him on February and he was alone in his cage at the pet shop (rookie mistake). I got another pig 2 weeks ago and just smelling and listening to another pig has been beneficial. If the vet gives me the all clear for the new pig on Friday I will do introductions during the weekend.

I agree and good luck.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.