Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

foraging in the summer

KatieJean

Cavy Slave
do any of you feed your piggies from your lawn and garden?

In the summer mine love to eat fresh grass and dandelion leaves.

are there any other safe plants they can eat?

How much of their diet should be made up of foraging?

Pigs can munch on the grass outside, but there are some guidelines.

The grass must be toxin free, nothing at all sprayed on it, no fertalizer, weed killer, etc. It can not be from the side of the road, either. Also, they should have a suitable size pen. But, they need to be 100% supervised all the time. Birds of prey, dogs, cats, racoons, fisher cats, anything, can come and get them. You can also bring them grass inside.

Grass and dandelion greens should be a supplement and be given in addition to regular food, I believe. Rose petals should be given in super moderation, but that is the only suitable flower to feed. Others can be poisonous.

When it is too cold outside for the pigs, I bring dandelion leaves to their cage. When it is in the 70's I put up the pen in my front yard, and put the piggies in it.

I let my pig out when it's nice and sunny, she likes to munch on the grass.

I think it's cruel not to feed them any grass! It's my boys favourite food however I think that too many dandelion greens can have a laxative effect. My boys usually spend all day outside, so they have access to the grass for ages, but they don't eat it constantly. If it's cold then I will give them about 4 to 5 handfulls of grass

You can also grow wheat grass very easily both outdoors and indoors for them to eat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.