Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Revolution For Lice?

LoveMySnickers

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs have lice so I took them to the vet 2 weeks ago and my vet gave them an injection of ivermectin each. Today, I went in again and she gave them a 2nd injection. She wanted me to come in for a 3rd (and final) injection in two weeks

I told her I could not make it in to the office so she gave me Revolution for puppies. She told me to apply an entire tube on the back of each in two weeks. I'm concerned that's A LOT for a pig. One weighs 1177 grams and the other weighs 1035 grams.

I'm also concerned because now that I've researched, I see that injections are not effective at treating lice. So, is the Revolution going to work for the lice? Is applying the entire tube too much? The package says 5-10 lbs (30 mg) I'm worried I'll overdose them because they are no where near 5 lbs.

Does the whole tube contain 30 mg. of medicine? Both Pfizer and Guinea Lynx recommend 10mg. of Revolution per kilogram of pig. Yours are right at 1 kg. So if the whole tube contains 30 mg, you'd put one third of the tube on one pig and one third on the other.

The Revolution may work, especially since they've had two doses of ivermectin.

The package says
"30 mg
0.25mL (120mg/mL)"

But she gave me two tubes and instructed me to use an entire tube on each pig. Seemed a bit much to me. I read on GL that 10mg would be enough but I just wanted to make sure.

If this is an exotic vet, she may be more up on the dosing than what's posted at GL and a Pfizer. But if she's a dog and cat vet, I'd go with the GL recommendations. They don't get much training in exotic pet care, and what they do get ranges from hamsters to elephants.

If the smaller dose doesn't clear it up, you'll have enough left to give another later on.

She's an exotic vet..I'll give her a call and talk to her. Her assistant gave me the instructions so I'll double check. Thanks so much!

Checking is an excellent idea. The assistant may have just been dispensing the usual instructions without realizing there are differences for guinea pigs.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Hi there, it looks like we are on the same boat.

I got Revolution from my vet yesterday for my three piggies. She gave 15mg (0.25ml) each tube, and instructed for one tube per pig. This dosage is for puppies weight less than 5 lb. Well, I followed her instruction. Given my piggies' weight, 15mg is a bit on the high end. I hope they will be alright.

Please please let us know after you double check with your vet. I have doubts with my vet, and I hope you have a really good one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.