Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding For a long weekend trip...

beachgurl_1988

Cavy Slave
My mom, sister and I are going to the beach the weekend of April 20th... we will be gone four nights, and my Dad is going to have the task of pig sitting...

Just trying to make things easier for him, I was going to use carefresh for just the four days we are gone. Should I put anything underneath this? Newspaper or towels or anything?

We have washable piddle pads we use for our dogs.. I'm thinking those underneath, and then carefresh on top.

I think he can deal with 2 scoops of food, and then I am just going to bag the greens that they get each day...all he will have to do it dump on a plate and put it in the cage. I wrote everything down today too!

I put newspapers under a thick layer of Carefresh or Fresh News which I also like. I don't put the newspapers under there to absorb urine. I use them to make it easier to clean the cage by lifting the bedding out by the edges of of the newspaper. Another thing I tried that worked exceptionally well was to cut open a large yard waste brown paper bag, They're really thick and you can cut one to line your cage. It won't tear if it gets wet.

I always use newspapers under Carefresh, with an extra few layers under the popular pee spots. Sounds like the piddle pads should work just as well. I'm going to be in a similar scenario as you, as I'll be gone for several days later this month for my job. I'll be at a local hotel, but probably won't have time to run home to hubby's going run back for piggy care. I'm going to teach him to take out the paper in the pee spots, lay more, and replace the soiled Carefresh. Hopefully that will keep everything decent. I'll be interested to hear how the puppy pads work.

If your guinea pigs pee a lot, put newspaper then towels. But if they aren't one to pee as much, then it's okay to put just newspaper. I use fleece but sometimes have to use bedding. It would be softer though, if you put towels under the bedding and it would be a lot more fun for them too. Hope it works out! :)

I am hopefully going to expand the cage to a 2x6 this weekend. I'm thinking that with a bedding cage in the corners all will be fine. They will be back to fleece the day I get back!

Does a puppy pad keep the cage dry longer than newspaper under bedding? With my current newspaper-under-bedding system, I replace all wet paper every day. I'll be gone four days, so there's no way I want wet paper in the cages that long. My husband will run home from the event daily, but being a paranoid pig mom, I don't fully trust him to find/replace all the wet spots. Would the liner stay relatively dry/odor free if he tops out the soiled bedding each day?

We have a free town newspaper, and they always over-print it, so I have a ready supply. It's handy because that lets me replace it daily as needed with no extra cost. The puppy pads sound like a perfect solution for the four-day trip. I have an air purifer in my small bathroom that I forgot all about, so that's a great idea if the pig areas ever get stinky (thankfully the only time I've ever noticed any odor so far is cleaning day, or maybe the night before). Thanks for the info!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.