Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Food Routines

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
What is your food regime? Do you have a daily food routine for your pigs? if sp, i thought it would be interesting to share on GPC!

Mine is:
Morning- feed Broccoli 1/2 cup of veggies and 1/16 cup of pellets.
Lunch- feed fresh forages
Evening- feed 1/2 cup of veggies and pellet refill.

This is for one piggie.

Last edited:
Can I ask why you only feed 1/16 of a cup? I feed each of my pigs 1/8 of a cup, but was thinking about cutting down. I'm not sure about the wisdom of that, though.

For seven pigs, I feed:
Morning: 7/8 cup of pellets (Cavy Cuisine). Sometimes they get 3-4 cups of veggies in the morning. Fill up the hay rack.
Lunch: If I'm home (and the weather isn't miserable) they'll get some fresh grass and perhaps some small bits of other forages. Sometimes they'll get an hour or so out on the grass instead.
Dinner: 7 cups of veggies if they didn't get any in the morning. If they got veggies in the morning, they get 3-4 cups at night. I also fill up the hay rack at night, and try to include a few different types of hay.

Be careful with the broccoli. It can make them gassy and lead to bloat, which is a medical emergency.

@Haymonster- she said that in the evening she gives a pellet refill, i.e. she gives another 1/16 of a cup, totaling to 1/8 cup per pig per day.

Oh I totally missed that. Thanks, @Roo99

Be careful with the broccoli. It can make them gassy and lead to bloat, which is a medical emergency.

Broccoli is the name of my piggie lol, i feed him a variety of fresh veggies everyday, he's only feed him broccoli once every few days.

Oh i forgot to mention hay. Hay in the morning in his little hut and i top it up in evening. I am getting a hay rack soon though :)g

As soon as I wake up in the morning the piggies start wheeking their heads off for their pellet bowl to be refilled. I give my older pair 1/4 of a cup (1/8 each) of KMS timothy pellets. I give my younger ones 3/8 ( one 1/4 cup plus 1/8 cup extra) of the timothy.Sometimes the younger ones get a half cup (1/4 each).

After I give myself a chance to wake up after being harassed for pellets, I give them 1/8 of a green or yellow bell pepper.

Then I usually give either a grape tomato, baby carrot, or zucchini slice hours later. Sometimes I'm lazy and offer those with their bell pepper.

Then in the evening I offer red or green leaf lettuce with cilantro. Two days out of the week I switch out the cilantro for parsley, arugula, or some other blue coded food ( see veggie chart). I have two younger pigs that don't have sludge issues like my older pair, so they get blue coded veggies more often.

I change what I do a lot.

regarding pellets: i thought the recommended amount was 1/4 cup per day. i feed my boys 1/8 cup twice a day - am i over feeding?

In the morning the girls get about 1.5-2cups of veggies
Sometimes in the afternoon they get whatever fruit is left from my lunch
At night they get a total of 3/8 cup (3 pigs, 1/8cup each) of sweetmeadow pellets, a hay pile refill and 1.5-2 cups of veggies, normally at different points in the night.

regarding pellets: i thought the recommended amount was 1/4 cup per day. i feed my boys 1/8 cup twice a day - am i over feeding?

I feed by instruction. KMS pellets say 1/8 to 1/4 per pig/per day. Oxbow says 1/8 each. I hear people say that you can feed 1/4 cup of Oxbow per pig, but honestly I rather just feed by the instructions and feel safer about it.

I'm always on urine watch for sludge. I'm paranoid.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.