Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Food Help

piggieslover

Cavy Slave
Hi All!!! I am sorry I have more questions. As many of you know I had been going by what my vet had told me and his tech. But; after talking to all of you and research from the links you gave me I now realize you guys know more :) and I will continue to listen to you and your experience as I want what is best for my boys.

So here it goes: I was feeding the VitaKraft and now have decided to switch to the Oxbow but; I have 2-4month old boys and 1 1year old boy. So can they eat the same food or do I have to buy both Oxbow foods?

You all also know that my vet said not to feed the veggies everyday even though I was and one of you said fruit 3 times per week. Well today was a fruit day. I gave them apples, watermelons (seedless) and the rines, and oranges. I also gave them their veggies: yellow and green peppers, cucumbers, carrots and romaine lettuce. Well normally they go nuts and chatter away and eat as though there was no tomorrow, not today. The oldest one ate a little and one of the younger ones only ate a yellow pepper and a cucumber and my other little one snubbed it completely!!! What is the problem? Are they just being contrary today or do they sometimes just eat at their leisure?

I also quit putting the vitamins in their water as of a few days ago, so will they still get the vitamins they need? They will not have anything to do with the chewables :( I think voodoojoint said as long as I give them their veggies and fruits they will get the vitamins they need but; they are not eating them today so now I am worried about vitamin intake.....HELP.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Pellets - mix half and half Cavy Cuisine and Cavy Perfomance. Switch to Cavy Cusine only when the younger boars hit 6 months.

Hay - half and half alfalfa and timothy untill younger boars hit 6 months. Timothy only after.

Fruit and veggies - tone down on the fruit a bit. That's as bad as fruit every day. Shoot for one or two peices of fruit per pig every other day. (Tomotoes excluded) Carrots are an every other day food. Try green/red leaf lettuce, boston lettuce, and cilantro for everyday foods.

Give them time. They'll figure out what they like and what they don't like. Then they'll figure out that if they don't eat it, the other two will and they'll eat like mad. My single baby boar just started eating all of his veggies every night and I've had him since April.

As long as you give them vitamin c rich veggies like red bell peppers and leafy greens they will be just fine. If you are still worried try to track down some human liquid vitamin c and give it to them with a needless syringe. Much like you would a child.

piggieslover

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your help.
So then is not abnormal for them to eat like mad and then slow down?
I thought carrots were okay everyday? You mentioned red peppers was the yellow and green okay. The lettuce they love the romain.
Liquid human vitamins: how much to give?? I do not know how much the boys weigh...can I buy a scale pig appropriate somewhere?

amfeider

Cavy Slave
carrots are not a good everyday.

piggieslover

Cavy Slave
amfeider said:
carrots are not a good everyday.

Since they had carrots today when I can give it to them again? May Saturday or Sunday? They can have their Romaine lettuce everyday though right?

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Actually, a small baby carrot every day is fine. I sometimes give my pigs those slices of carrots, a small one everyday. Usually I DON'T give them everyday, but it's fine as long as the carrots are small.

Lettuce, all but Iceberg is fine to give everyday.
Would you like a veggie list? I got mine from Ly a while back, I can send it to you over email. If you want, PM me with your email and I'll send it right away.

The best way to give them vitamin c is through tablets.. Much easier than liquid. You can either give the tablet to them whole, or kind of mess it around in their daily veggies. Oxbow tablets are best, (broken link removed) or www.oxbowhay.com , but if you find a LOW sugar content human tablet, that would be fine. I think it should be below 1%, but it might have to be even lower than that.

Last edited:

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I give them a small slice of carrot everyday. You need to weigh your pigs weekly, because weight loss tends to be a sign of illness. So, invest in a set of kitchen scales

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You can overdose them on the vitamins and mineral supplements. As long as they are getting a small amount of pellets, unlimited hay and veggies everyday, I wouldn't worry about supplementing.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Thank you for your help.
So then is not abnormal for them to eat like mad and then slow down?
I thought carrots were okay everyday? You mentioned red peppers was the yellow and green okay. The lettuce they love the romain.
Liquid human vitamins: how much to give?? I do not know how much the boys weigh...can I buy a scale pig appropriate somewhere?

Sometimes they get bored with certain foods, that's why variety is the key. You actually can feed one small/medium baby carrot per day. With the vitamins (either liquid or chewable) you can give about 25mg a day in supplement to what they are getting in their veggies and pellets if they aren't eating their veggies like they normally do. Any color bell peppers are fine. Red has the most C in it but also contains more sugar and Vitamin A than the other colors. Try them out with some different varieties of lettuces (any type but iceburg). Cilantro is great too.

As for a scale, digital are the best. If you can find one that weighs in grams, milligrams, pounds and ounces, that will be your best bet.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Digital is the best, but they can be a little expensive. Kitchen scales are cheap and fairly accurate.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
In the U.S. a digital scale can cost about $30 which isn't too bad. I have seen the same ones brand new on ebay for about half the price.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.