Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Food getting in the water bottle

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
Okay so I don't know if this usually happens with water bottles but I find that a fair amount of food gets in my pigs water bottle I guessing it's mostly pellet bit because that's when my guinea pigs seem to drink the most water. This doesn't really happen over like if it's not changed for a few days either like I washed my pigs water bottle yesterday and I noticed today that there was food in it. This is the water bottle I use is an all living things glass water bottle. It doesn't leak much at all but I do see food floating around in their water. Does this usually happen with most bottles or should I get a new one?

for the life of me i can't imagine how food could flow UP into the water bottle. you have a standard water bottle, hanging on the outside of the cage, and you change the water every day? maybe it's just because i don't have years of experience. . .hmm. . .:eye-poppi

Mine hangs on the inside of the cage but I can't see why that would make any difference maybe I just need to change it more often. I try to change it as often as possible usually every other day to everyday.

Mine hangs on the inside of the cage but I can't see why that would make any difference maybe I just need to change it more often. I try to change it as often as possible usually every other day to everyday.

The water needs to be changed every day, and cleaned out with hot water and a bottle brush thoroughly at the same time you clean out your cage.

That is weird. Almost like there is so sort of suction or vacuum being created with your water bottle and it is sucking the food bits right our of the guinea pig's mouth! I have had small animals for 20 years and I can not think of that ever happening.

I use glass water bottles also, but I have never seen food in them. Maybe take it back for a refund and get another one.

I guess it's because they dirnk the most water when the are eating pellets so I guess they aren't completely done chewing yet so when the go to drink and they push that little metal ball up to get the water some of the food that is still in their mouth goes with it.

That makes sense. I have my pellets on the other side of the cage away from the water bottle. Also my girls aren't too crazy about Oxbow pellets and are eating very few pellets. My KMs pellets have cleared customs and are in Canada. They should be here in a couple of days. I hope they like them better than Oxbow.

I second cleaning them daily. I give mine a water and vinegar rinse daily, and give them a soap soak a few times a week. The spouts especially can get really gross build up. My spout is short enough for a Q-tip, and there's always a bit of greenish brown residue. Even with daily cleaning. I can't imagine how much build up there would be if I cleaned them less often.

I wonder if spring loaded bottles get food particles stuck more easily as well? I tossed my critter canteen because it didn't seem like it was getting as clean for that reason.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.