Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Food For Thought

Delaine

Cavy Slave
After reading all the controversy on Vit C I decided to calculate what my girls would be getting without supplementing. Let's start with hay. I phoned the Oxbow Nutrition Dept. According to their nutritional analysis Timothy hay has so little Vit C they don't count it. So none there. Lets do Pellets next. I feed Oxbow Cavy Cuisine which have 400 mg Vit C per Kilogram. I weighed out how much my girls eat and it came to a low 2 - 3 mg per day from pellets.

I hoped the veggies would fill in the gap. This was a little more difficult to calculate, even using my charts. My girls won't eat peppers or carrots. Cruciferous/brassica don't agree with Abbey, so that leaves leafy greens. Parsley is high in C but shouldn't be fed daily. It is winter and (unlike you lucky people in the South) my greens get put on a truck, shipped to Canada, sit in a store and then my fridge. I have no idea how much Vit C is left after all that storage. So, I am going to follow my exotic vet's advice and supplement with Oxbow Vit C crushed over their greens and rethink this in the summer when they can eat fresh veggies from my yard and garden.

My personal opinion is to treat each guinea pig and situation individually. Although you may be preventing scurvey through diet, without Vit C supplementation, are your guinea pigs achieving optimum health?

thanks so much for this - sounds like you've done lots of work. i worry, too because my pigs will only eat a little bit of pepper - not a daily supply worth. so i worried about whether they're getting enough vitamin C. the advise i got here was to supplement. i just ordered oxbow vitamin C tablets and am waiting for delivery. i feel a little better now about supplementing. ❤️

I started giving Vit C after I had my girls for a month. It was late Spring and they were getting lots of grass, veggies, etc. so figured they didn't need a supplement. One of my little girls seemed stiff (almost lame) and just didn't want to move around like the other one so I started supplementing with Oxbow C, 1/2 tablet (25 mg) crushed and sprinkled over their veggies. Although not exact, each one was getting about 12.5 mg. of C per day. Within a couple of days she was out and about more, running around, popcorning. Maybe a coincidence but I was sold. I visited the vet last week and she wants me to double the dose to 1 tablet (50mg) per day. Each pig will now get approximately 25 mg each per day. I feed them together so this isn't exact and I am sure some of it gets lost on the towel and plate.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.