Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Folded Fleece Blanket - for Burrowing

Nadjia

Cavy Slave
Okay, this might sound like a really dumb question, but I just read that some people put a folded fleece blanket in the cage for the pigs to burrow/play in (on top of any fleece being used for cage liners). So, my question is (because the last 3 days my girls are doing all they can to burrow under the fleece liner), how big a blanket and how is said blanket being folded? Do you just fold it and let the pigs figure it out themselves? Or is there a special way to fold it to allow for them to play/hide/sleep easier? Sorry if this sounds really dumb. I suppose I could experiment and figure it out, but I think just asking would be faster.

Thanks in advance!

Fay

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if there is a specific method to it as I never put a blanket in the cage for that purpose but I'd imagine no matter how you fold it they will mess it up in about 5 seconds flat. I wouldn't use a blanket that is too big I'd be worried they might get themselves stuck or unable to breathe. I'm sure someone else on here whose tried that might know ways to make it safe. I'd personally just make the fleece into a flat tunnel so they can't easily get lost/stuck somehow but then I tend to be overly cautious. Something like this where the ends are propped up but the middle is flat so to them it gives the illusion of burrowing under the fleece:

F0fee56d21d8f19facdb048007f14055

Nadjia

Cavy Slave
That's what scares me too - if I put something too big in, or fold it wrong and they get stuck and can't breathe. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and ask what appears to be a silly question and have them safe then try something and hurt them. I think I'll have to whip out the sewing machine and make them some tunnels or something, for sure.

Fay

Cavy Slave
That's what scares me too - if I put something too big in, or fold it wrong and they get stuck and can't breathe. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and ask what appears to be a silly question and have them safe then try something and hurt them. I think I'll have to whip out the sewing machine and make them some tunnels or something, for sure.

I don't think that is a silly question at all. In fact I think it's a very smart and considerate question. I hope someone on here can give some tips about that but I would refrain from having a blanket in there when you're not there to supervise for the time being (It should be fine if you are there to monitor them). At least until someone more experienced with it can give some concrete advice. Better safe than sorry :eek:

mizzpiggie

Cavy Slave
You might try just piling some small fleece scraps or cutting some fleece into short strips. They can "burrow" in the pile, but there's no risk of them getting stuck.

dramallamaduck

Cavy Slave
I second the short strips. My boys love to burrow in those, with no risk of a stuck piggy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.