Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Exercise Floor Time

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!

I have just started doing floor time with my Piggies. Well, I want to begin to give them the necessary amount of floor time each day.

I started to do floor time in the bathroom. I plan on keeping floor time in the bathroom for a bit to get them accustomed to the idea of floor time.

I eventually want to move it into their room. Their are quite a few tweaks I will have to make to the room to make it Piggy-proof, but that can be arranged easily. All I have to do is pick up their Play Pen and then we have a lot of room back there.

I have a few questions regarding floor time:

What have people done to secure their areas for floor time? What should I do to make it the safest environment possible?

What should I do for floor time?

How much floor time do Guinea Pigs need a day?

Recently I have been reading that people give their Guinea Pigs free roam of the room without supervision. Is that the concept of floor time? I think of floor time as a time for me to lay with the Pigs and bond and let them play. BUT, I think that laying on the floor for an hour a day is going to be a bit...... Much? I am thinking that I should leave them to explore for half the time, and me be with them for half the time?

________

Thank you all so much! This is the last main question that I have about my Piggies! Other than that, I have all of the information I need on caring for them, and foresee no further BIG questions/concerns!

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUINEA PIG CAGES! THANKS TO YOU I HAVE 2 HAPPY AND HEALTHY PIGGIES!

Anybody? Please?

I ususally use a few grids zip tied together to create a play pen. I put the play pen around my couch and chairs to keep them from going under there. Pick up any cords or anything that they could chew on that would hurt them. I also use the grid play pen to keep them in my living room. I give my guinea pigs a few hours of floor time a couple of times a week. Mostly I just put them on the floor and leave them, some times I play with them. The whole idea of floor time, I believe, is to allow the guinea pigs space the roam and exercise. =D

I ususally use a few grids zip tied together to create a play pen. I put the play pen around my couch and chairs to keep them from going under there. Pick up any cords or anything that they could chew on that would hurt them. I also use the grid play pen to keep them in my living room. I give my guinea pigs a few hours of floor time a couple of times a week. Mostly I just put them on the floor and leave them, some times I play with them. The whole idea of floor time, I believe, is to allow the guinea pigs space the roam and exercise. =D

Do I have to do it every day?

i would say it depends on how big the cage is.

I have extra C&C cage peices that I use for floor time. I connect them with string so I can make it different shapes. But when I'm not using it I also just block areas that I dont want my piggies to roam to with boxes and things. I always keep an eye on my piggies. I'll sit near them and watch TV or draw.

I don't think it's a great idea for piggies to be able to escape or get into something because someone isn't watching.

But isn't the idea of floor time to give them free roam of the place?

i've always done mine in the bathroom, but once i can get some i plan on getting some grids for a play area. the bathroom is just easier, but i make sure everythings off the floor before i put them in there.

Floor time is to give them a bigger space to move around than their cage. It doesn't have to be the whole room. I don't use a whole room. I section off part of my living room for them. Floor time doesn't have to be daily if you have a big cage. I have a 2x7 for 4 pigs. I feel the have enough room to run around in there so I only give them floor time a few times a week. Plus I have kids so I do floor time after they are in bed and some days I'm just not up to cleaning up after the piggies' floor time. I also don't leave the guinea pigs alone in a room and walk away. I'm usually near by. We have an open floor plan so I'll clean the kitchen, work on taxes :yuck: in the dinning room, watch TV or something else while the pigs are having their floor time.

Thanks guys!

Tell me what you all think:

I have a 2x4 Cage attached to a 1x2 Playpen. So, in essence, their whole cage adds up to be around a 3x6, right? 2 wide +1 wide= 2, 4 long + 2 long= 6, so that would be 3x6. Anyway, I have a 2x4 connected to the equivalent of a 1x2 for 2 female Guinea Pigs:

How much floor time should I give them?

It doesn't count as floor time because I have their Playpen connected to their cage, does it?

What is the point in floor time if the piggies are just basically STILL IN A CAGE just in a different room?

Exercise and mental stimulation. When I put my pigs down for floor time they are much more active than they are in thier cage. It's just a diffrent world for them. Plus with the extra movement they stay fit and healthy.

Alright. So it is OK if they are enclosed for Floor time? Maybe the can be somewhat enclosed and I can shape the grids so I have a place to sit?

Yep perfectly fine. You can sit in there with them if you want. Lay on your bed or couch and watch TV too. It just gives the guinea pigs something else to do and exercise to stay fit. I put a lot of hidies and tunnels down at floor time for the GPs to play in. They seem to like that a lot. Change up thier seacenory. Some times I leave the kids toys out for the guinea pigs to explore.

Yep perfectly fine. You can sit in there with them if you want. Lay on your bed or couch and watch TV too. It just gives the guinea pigs something else to do and exercise to stay fit. I put a lot of hidies and tunnels down at floor time for the GPs to play in. They seem to like that a lot. Change up thier seacenory. Some times I leave the kids toys out for the guinea pigs to explore.

Hehe. Thanks!

Should I just get another set of grids then? That would make another 2x4.

Whatever is easiest to block the guinea pigs off into a safe and large space for them to explore and exercise.

Here is what my floor time looked like recently: I used the walls to make the space even bigger since I do not have many spare grids.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Floor Time

Zuidy- I took an old shoe box and cut a hole in three sides of it and right now I'm using an old canvas binder that I was using for collage and took out a pile of clothes for for mine. You don't have to go expensive to entertain your piggy. They are just like toddlers, cut a hole in a box and they'll have fun.

Sarai

when i did floor time at my old house i shut all doors in a hall way and put a gate in front of the stairs.

Our boys have a big box of toys/play-things that they only get to use at floor-time. This way, when they come out of their cage, they are in a new environment and have different things to interact with that they don't normally have in their cage. It helps to keep them stimulated and provides new items of interest so they don't get bored.

Everyone, I know this may be an old thread and I am bumping it, but I have to say that we just had our first really good floor time! I have been keeping a blog about it, but that wasn't super official, that was just the beginning stages of floor time. Yesterday, my dad got me another pack of grids and I used zip ties to make a new playpen. (it seems like it came with way more grids than when I made my cage! And we got the same brand, just a different color!) It came out to a 3x5, could have been a 4x5 or a 3x6 because I missed 1 grid. I can still add it on if I want to. Oh, the 3x5 isn't the way it has to stay. Because I made it with zip ties, I can form it into different shapes, and it stores very neatly because it folds!

Anyway, I got the pigs into their carrier and took them to the pen. I had blankets and towels laid out, and I had tunnels and a litter box and hay rack. I also had their hidey in it, but they chose to sit in that for a quarter of the time, so I eventually took it out. Then, they became way more active and they really came out! They had a lot of snacks. I let them eat however much they wanted, but now I will give them a set amount. They had fun, and it went GREAT!

I got them back in their cage and they went right out. I am trying to give them 1+ hours of floor time every other day, or whenever I can. Otherwise, once every other day for sure for at least an hour.

:D

YAY! HAPPY DANCE HAPPY DANCE!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.