Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Floor time at last!

Teria

Cavy Slave
I found the cubes here in Germany - bought the last nine ones in existence, it seems, since the store was selling them out and won't have them again. But I'll get them today or tomorrow, and then I can give my piggies floor time AT LAST!

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
HOORAY! Your piggies are going to be so excited - and you too!!

Teria

Cavy Slave
That's for sure - I couldn't let them out before cause they're still very shy, and I'd just scare them to death by trying to catch them again in my room. So now they'll have their houses and a big cardbox to hide in, and the running space will be limited and easily accessible for me, and so I hope everything will go well. :)

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
I'm sure that with the secure running environment and hidey places, they'll become more open and friendly in no time. :)

Teria

Cavy Slave
And now for the FIRST FLOOR TIME EVER!

I got those nine cubes today and made a nice parcours for my two girls. They were terrified at first, and every move I make sends them back into hiding. But they are absolutely excited now and are happily exploring their new floor space. I have sneakily hidden some goodies which they can find. And Zirbel is popcorning now which I haven't seen her do for at least four weeks. YAY for floor time!!!

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
Oh, that's wonderful! It's so fun to watch really happy piggies popcorn and run around, isn't it? Enjoy watching them have fun. That's a cool idea about hiding treats for them to find too. I may do that with mine!

Teria

Cavy Slave
Yes, I love watching them. Of course, I should be working but this is much more interesting. I'm so glad I got those grids, and I'm really happy that I found this forum cause I had no idea how to make floor time secure for them. And your piggies will love the hidden treats - mine do. Bonnie checks every hidey house rooftop now to see if there happen to be more cucumbers. Smart pig. :)

Bonnie has a new favourite house: an old metal wastepaper basket with a handkerchief as a floor. Zirbel occupies the Hay Palace - a cardbox with two exits, a little wooden house and lots of hay in it. They are settling down now - resting and eating and cleaning themselves after so much excitement.

I definitely need a camera.

Teria

Cavy Slave
Now they are running around like mad. I need to buy more grids!

Teria

Cavy Slave
And now they feel totally at home in their floor space. Eating, resting, popcorning, chasing each other, and behaving generally happy. This was a complete and utter success. I don't want to put them back into their cage tonight... do you guys (or Baby Bears, since you seem to be the only one who reads this) think I can let them stay on the floor? They seem to be so much happier than behind bars.

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
Well, I don't think you'd want them living in the middle of your floor indefinately. I think eventually they would soil it badly and they won't have their water and hay rack, though you could put that on the grids easily. Depends on if you are willing to give up whatever floor space they are taking up. :)

Teria

Cavy Slave
And here they are, happily exploring. I decided to put them back into their normal cage at night and while I'm away but they get floortime whenever I'm at home.

carrotflavour

Cavy Slave
YAY! Thats looks great! Floor time is so good for well-being of piggies. They'll probably love you forever for giving them it :)

I love the hay in the box idea-mind if I borrow it? I usually put a cardboard box upside down.

Teria

Cavy Slave
Of course you can borrow the idea. :) The cardbox is the box I catch them in to put them into the floor time area and back into the cage. They feel safer with all the hay in it.

Right now, they are racing again after a brief nap. I wish I could have given them floor time much earlier, they enjoy it so much!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.