Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flooding

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
We have had nothing but rain for.... well, quite some time and the midden's now hitting the windmill. We have rivers at record levels, it looks like Iowa City's going to be underwater tomorrow, the dam on on Saylorville Lake can't keep up and it's expected to over the emergency spillway in the next couple of days, putting downtown Des Moines at risk, because the lake feeds into the Des Moines River. The Raccoon River, which runs through Des Moines, too, has closed several major roads. A couple of towns that were hit by tornadoes have had insult added to injury because they are now waist-deep in water. Iowa State University and the rest of the city of Ames are dealing with the high Skunk River. Mason City is without water right now because the water treatment plant is flooded. I drive about 27 miles from my town up to downtown Des Moines to work and some of the rivers along the way have turned farm fields into lakes. Water is lapping at the shoulder of one highway I travel on. I wonder if I'll even be able to pass through tomorrow. I'm lucky, though. I live on the third floor, so it's going to have to be one heck of a flood to hurt our apartment.

I never thought this would happen again. I was around here for the floods of '93 when this state turned into the 6th Great Lake, and we spent 12 days without water. I'm wondering about those of you in other flooded states. How bad it is and is it affecting you much?

GuineaAddict

Cavy Slave
I live in indiana and we're flooded really bad, but in my town in muncie I haven't seen any flooding or anything. I know I've heard alot about it being in Indiana and Ohio.

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
Good old Muncie. :) My brother spend two years there at Ball State before he became too homesick and transferred to an instate school.

Jane_G

Cavy Slave
The weather all around is stressful. Here in NY we are having record breaking heat. Right now it's 99F with a heat index of 104F. Sunday and Monday were even hotter if you can believe that.

I hope everything goes back to normal for everyone soon. It can't rain forever. Noah has already been here!

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
There is an emergency 6 ft. high dam that was installed on Saylorville Lake's emergency spillway. The Corps raised it yesterday to give those down the Des Moines River another 24 hours to prepare for flooding, and it's been announced that they're slowly going to lower it to prevent damage to it. It's meant as a temporary measure only so that people can get out of the way of flooding. There are complaints like crazy on the local newspaper and news channel's websites because people think it should just remain up. It can't. It'll get ripped off if a flow develops behind it. Why can't people realize that we can't truly control nature?

RayFay

Cavy Slave
I guess we're pretty lucky down here in AZ. We are in a drought yes, but I suppose it's better than flooding. The weather right now is great as well! 107F today which is just lovely!

GuineaAddict

Cavy Slave
Yea well on top of the insane flooding in indiana we've also been having 95 degree days. I've become a recluse because I'm so fair skinned and if I get too hot or stay in the sun too long I get severe headaches that tend to last for days. I thank god my car has AC...now if I could only get it to get colder faster life would be great.

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
I'd gladly give some our rain to Arizona. Especially since it looks like the levees are going to hold and that means I have to go to work. :)

piggerz

Cavy Slave
Some areas here in Wisconsin have been hard hit. Anywhere in Southeastern WI that is near a river is experiencing problems right now. We are supposed to have heavy rain and storms tomorrow. Hope that's wrong. Lake Delton by the Wisconsin Dells is completely drained due to a dam or something that gave way. Houses have just been swept into the water. Scary! It's amazing the power that mother nature has.

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
Some areas here in Wisconsin have been hard hit. Anywhere in Southeastern WI that is near a river is experiencing problems right now. We are supposed to have heavy rain and storms tomorrow. Hope that's wrong. Lake Delton by the Wisconsin Dells is completely drained due to a dam or something that gave way. Houses have just been swept into the water. Scary! It's amazing the power that mother nature has.

I used to go to the Dells every summer when I was a kid in Wisconsin

RayFay

Cavy Slave
I'd gladly give some our rain to Arizona. Especially since it looks like the levees are going to hold and that means I have to go to work. :)

We would gladly accept the rain. :D We do quite need it, but maybe not as much as you have to offer!

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
I just looked out my office window. The Des Moines River is 2 blocks away. We used to be able to see green beside the river. Now we can only see water and the cement levees. Cedar Rapids, IA is flooded terribly downtown, and the Iowa City/Coralville area is starting to get hit. I need to contact friends in that area and make sure they're alright.

Lake Delton was just amazing (in a bad way), although the guy who merely lost his vacation home annoyed the heck out of me. Yes, it's a big loss, yes it's terrible, but crying to the media about how you lost your new boat and moaning about where you are going to spend your weekends just rubbed me the wrong way. Especially when that guy's neighbor lost the house he lived in full time. I'd like to tell that guy, "I'm sorry you lost your vacation home, but at least you still have your primary residence. Many don't even have that."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.