Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Flicker's Medical Thread

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
:?: I got a cavy today from a guinea pig and rabbit rescue - although I am beginning to think I should have called it "rescue". She is four months old (younger than I anticipated) and the cage they showed me the pigs was filthy. But they said it was one they just grabbed to show me the pigs, not their regular home.

I get her home and she stinks! Like a HORSE! I bathed her and used my organic human shampoo. I suds her twice and she still stinks. It looks like her white fur underneath is yellowy. I didn't notice it before because it was so bright out where we were and I figured some yellow would come out. It was probably the cage.

So was tons of gunk in her ears (black ears, couldn't see that) and some crusties on her genetalia. They had been given a mite treatment that was for dogs - began with an R - and they get that every month so they don't get mites. I am thinking a quarantine is definitely in order.

I am kinda freaking out here, as you can tell by this crazy post. Advice please!

First dont bathe them in human shampoo. Only small animal shampoo. Get her to a vet. They treated her with revolution which is fine.

Was the mite treatment called Revolution? If so, that is commonly used on guinea pigs and is safe with the proper dosage.

Guinea pigs in general don't have a stink to them. It's possible that she just has some stink left from the "rescue" and that will fade over time. It sounds like maybe they weren't kept in the best of conditions.

Another possibility is her diet at the rescue. Do you know what they were fed?

Ditto about the human shampoo. They need either kitten or rabbit shampoo. Even baby shampoo can be too harsh on their skin.

Is the crust on her genitals urine scald? Is it concentrated around her vulva, or is it her nipples? Did it come off when you bathed her?

If you don't feel confident that the rescue quarantined her when they got her you could do one. It may depend on how long the rescue had her, and if she or any other pigs had come down with anything while there.

Was the mite treatment called Revolution? If so, that is commonly used on guinea pigs and is safe with the proper dosage.

Guinea pigs in general don't have a stink to them. It's possible that she just has some stink left from the "rescue" and that will fade over time. It sounds like maybe they weren't kept in the best of conditions.

Another possibility is her diet at the rescue. Do you know what they were fed?

Ditto about the human shampoo. They need either kitten or rabbit shampoo. Even baby shampoo can be too harsh on their skin.

ok, she was fed regular timothy hay. I asked if I should feed her alfalfa but he said it wasn't neccessary. (so of course, I won't believe him and get better advice HERE)

All the small pet shampoos had scents to them and I wanted unscented for her health, so that is why I figured my human shampoo was better. There is a great more natural shampoo for kittens that I can buy. Thanks for lettting me know kitten ones are ok.

Regular timothy hay or other grass hay is fine. Alfalfa is not needed.

Is the crust on her genitals urine scald? Is it concentrated around her vulva, or is it her nipples? Did it come off when you bathed her?

If you don't feel confident that the rescue quarantined her when they got her you could do one. It may depend on how long the rescue had her, and if she or any other pigs had come down with anything while there.

It is just around and on her vulva, nipples are fine. There was some whitish stuff that came off when I washed her but when I kind of opened her vulva (pulled the sides a little bit) there was black stuff that I could swab with a Q-tip. I only did that twice since I know I would hate to have that done! She is a black, white, and grey colored pig with the full black only on her head.

I am researching urine scald now, I don't know what it is.

ok, she was fed regular timothy hay. I asked if I should feed her alfalfa but he said it wasn't neccessary. (so of course, I won't believe him and get better advice HERE)

All the small pet shampoos had scents to them and I wanted unscented for her health, so that is why I figured my human shampoo was better. There is a great more natural shampoo for kittens that I can buy. Thanks for lettting me know kitten ones are ok.

Oops, forgot one of your questions. Yes, it was Revolution.

it is not urine scald. Her vulva looks fine,maybe a bit yellowed.

Sometimes pigs with a urinary tract infection have a bad odor. I would make an appointment at the vet for her. Perhaps you can get the rescue to help pay for the visit.

Sometimes pigs with a urinary tract infection have a bad odor. I would make an appointment at the vet for her. Perhaps you can get the rescue to help pay for the visit.

Now that I have spent more time with her, I have noticed her pee is very white and stinks to high heaven. I most certainly will make sure I get an emergency appointment tomorrow. I was planning on making one tomorrow, I will for sure make them take me tomorrow too.

Is this a baby or really a 4 month old? And what breed?

As you know, I am new to cavies but researching a lot. We got our second pig today from a rescue. The man said she is 4 months old and fine to be away from her mother. A friend thinks she is much younger, like 4 weeks. So, I will post here to get some real answers.

Thank you all for your invaluable advice!

She is approximately 6 inches long and has very silky soft hair. My dh took a poor pic. My 1 year old Cupcake is ~9 inches long. The newbie (my 5 year old son named her Flickers) fits in the palm of my hand and fills my whole hand.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Flicker's Medical Thread

Re: Is this a baby or really a 4 month old? And what breed?

OMGosh! I think this little one is only 2 months old! EEK! That is a scary eek. here is what I found:
[h=2]Guinea Pig Size Chart[/h]For convenience, the following table summarizes these figures:
Birth8-10 cm (3-4 inches)
8 Weeks15-20 cm (6-8 inches)
16 weeks20-25 cm (8-10 inches)
14 months20-30 cm (8-12 inches)

AgeSize

I think the game just changed.

So what is the problem if she really is only 8 weeks or so? Does her being 2 months versus the 4 months you originally thought make a difference?

Guinea pigs can leave their mother safely at 3 weeks. She is just fine.

Glad you are getting her to a vet.
Is this an established rescue in your area?

So what is the problem if she really is only 8 weeks or so? Does her being 2 months versus the 4 months you originally thought make a difference?

4 months was bad enough, but 2 makes her so much more a baby and I didn't want her to leave her mother too soon, have emotional or learning issues. I wonder if she needs alfalfa or if she is fine with a normal adult diet.

They are normally weaned at 3 weeks. They get adopted by 6 weeks. Shes fine. Yes she needs alfalfa

Guinea pigs don't get any emotional damage or anything from leaving their moms, boys get separated at 3 weeks, and typically owners will separate the girls then also. She can have extra parsley until she is 6 months old, other than that she needs good quality timothy hay, pellets, and veggies.

Glad you are getting her to a vet.
Is this an established rescue in your area?

I am not sure what criterion show it would be established, but it does not have its own website or building. They have foster families that take care of the pigs and these people kind of set everything up and show the pigs along with caring for some.

Yeah, a vet visit is a must with all shelter/rescue animals I have ever had in my life. I just would have gotten her in this week instead of making a same-day appt.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.