Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece washing - without dryer?

• Thread starter wheatgrasscavys
  • Start date

wheatgrasscavys

Cavy Slave
I am receiving my wholesale lot of fleece from ebay today:eye-poppi , and from my fleece washing research, it seems like you have to 'wash, dry, then rewash' the fleece 2-4 times for it to work right. My question is, If I don't have a dryer, do I have to wash and hang up my clothes, 2-4 times? Also, If I use 2 different sets of towels, do i really have to change and wash the fleece too?
Thanks so much in advance for any help!:D

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
I know it is tough to deal with washing clothes without a dryer! You should have your 1-2 layers of towels on the bottom and the fleece on top. The towels and fleece should be washed about once every week to a week and a half. You will want to vacuum out the poop (or like I do I pick up the fleece and shake it out in the garden) every day or two.

As far and the initial washing I am not sure what to say. The washing and drying is to weaken the material in the fleece so it will allow the pea to soak through. You might want to try drying it at the laundry mat, or ask a family memeber if you can do the initial washing at their house. Make sure you do NOT use fabric softener!

Good luck!

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
The last fleece I bought, I just kept running the washer every time I walked by it if it had stopped. I actually did this for about 2 days so it probably got washed about 8 times (or more). I just washed/washed/washed and then dried on the last time. It comes out of the washer almost dry anyway so it shouldn't take long for it to dry by just hanging it out.

You should wash your fleece when you wash your towels or you may end up with an odor problem.

wheatgrasscavys

Cavy Slave
Thanks alot for the advice, I will make sure to wash the fleece every time I wash the towels, I was just afraid it might rip or something (is fleece strong?)

pignewton

Cavy Slave
Fleece is extremely durable. My towels wear out before the fleece does.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Fleece is extremely durable. My towels wear out before the fleece does.

HAHA, so true. I just noticed that a couple of my towels have holes in them. Oh well, I am currently looking for some used mattress pads because now I have to use 6 towels on the main level and at least 2 on the loft. And that is the only reason I got more fleece, because all my other fleece was cut for the smaller cages.

Madoria

Cavy Slave
I always hang dry my fleece , but I have a large room to hang in and 2 large fans and a machine that takes away the moisture.
I also have hung my fleece over the chairs in my kitchen to dry over the night , works too... and yes I do have access to a dryer, but hanging makes the fleece less frizzy in the surface.
I live in an apartment and share the laundry room with the other residents
but so far no one has had any complaint.
I use vinegar in the rinse cycle to get rid of the smell.

Susanne

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.