Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece vs. Carefresh vs. Aspen

CavyPeep

Cavy Slave
So, i have been looking around and see that everyone pretty much says different things about bedding, i have seen some people who love fleece and dont like aspen and carefresh or some people who have never even tried fleece. I have tried all 3 and id have to say carefresh is my favorite aspen coming in second and i really didnt like fleece at all

I like the carefresh and aspen because it is easy to just scoop the old bedding out of the cage and pour new bedding in. In my 2 times of trying fleece it worked terrible!:yuck: it got all soggy and everything stuck to it and it was only in the cage for 1 day. Since i am getting a new cage bottom i think i will try fleece again, but to all the fleece lovers- do i need to have thick fleece for it to work? cause i am thinking that the thin fleece was my problem, anyways what do you prefer.... Fleece, Carefresh, or Aspen?:)

I use half fleece half aspen. Though in the beginning, it was half fleece half carefresh. The care fresh was like 3x more expencive. It smelled really bad when taken out of the bag (Like trash) and was hard to scope up, as it weighed about a ton. Aspen seems to smell much better. The only bad thing about it, is that it's REALLYYYYY dusty...to the point where I have to wear a mask when putting it in their cage, as it makes me start uncontrollably coughing. I have seen nothing wrong with fleece, though I don't know if it controls odors, because my guinea pigs never go to the bathroom on it.

You don't need thick fleece. What were you using for the layer under fleece? The absorbent layer under your fleece is the important part. Did you wash and dry your fleece at least 3 times and test that it allows liquid to go through to the bottom layer?

I never tried aspen. I've tried carefresh the first week I had my pigs and didn't like the smell of carefresh. I liked using carefresh ultra in the kitchen area though. They are expensive so I'm using wood pellets in their kitchen now.

I use all fleece, two layers of towel and a fleece on top. I love it and my pigs love it too! I clean it out about every 2-3 days. But when I am gone for more than 3 days I use carefresh so the person watching my pigs doesn't need to clean the cage.

I have tried all three. I didn't like fleece at all. Maybe I was doing something wrong but it started stinking after about 3 hours. Carefresh was expensive and also smelled bad after a short time. Aspen is by far my favorite! It absorbs wonderfully! By the time I change the cage the newspaper underneath isn't even wet except in a couple of spots. I change it once a week and it doesn't smell at all even when I am changing it.

I wouldn't dream of using anything but fleece in the main part of the cage. Because it comes in so many colors, it's bright and cheerful and I would sure rather lie on fleece than wood shavings or even carefresh and I imagine piggies feel the same. I do use aspen in the hayloft/litter box area. I tried a product similar to carefresh that Walmart carries which is a little cheaper and I liked it (for the litter box) but it was just too expensive to use all the time.

I've only used Carefresh and am very happy with it. I line the cages with newspaper first, then scoop out the soiled bedding and replace the papers right beneath it daily, and it keeps away nasty smells until the weekly cleaning. I like white Carefresh so I can easily see the pee and poop.

I've never tried shavings, but when I adopted Amy from Craigslist, that's what she was on. She was in my house in the little petstore cage that she came in overnight, lined with shavings, and they totally tripped my allergies. I don't know what kind they were, but I could never handle being around them. The cage and bag of shavings went out to the alley the next day!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.