Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece fleece pads???

geo13

Cavy Slave
Good morning!!!!!!!:) .so I don't remember who exactly it was but they had shown me homemade fleece pads .so I wanted a little more info seeing how I currently am using fleece and puppy pads.
(a) is it cheaper?
(b) does it stink
(c)) is it machine washable
(d) How long before it has to be changed
(e) materials needed to make & instructions
(f)) is it better , sanitary , and less work
Thanks in advance I can be assured those who used my current methods can attest to the work & money put into it.i'm REALLY trying to find easier ways.

Great questions Geo .. i was wondering the same ..

yea she has some awesome stuff but for people in a budget like me is a bit pricey especialy for delivery .. maybe later in the future i can do that but right now .. is pricey i cant even get the uhal pads becouise i am in newfoundland it is 20 just for shipping .. kind of insane for just 1 furniture cover thing that is liek 8 bucks

View Cage Liners/ Tidy Mats by CobbCabinCrafts on Etsy She just uses fleece and absorbent batting. It only requires basic sewing skills if you'd like to do it yourself. Some fabric stores also have sewing machines you can use, and someone can show you how they work.

They don't stink.
Mine are changed once or twice a week. It all depends on the area I'm placing them.
You can throw them in the washer and dryer.
I feel they make the cage more sanitary. Having damp places in the cage is unaccaceptable for me, and without tidy mats I'd have to change their fleece more often to avoid wet spots.

Thanks everyone, here is one question though, see how puppy pads have that plastic bottom where urine cannot leak to the coroplast (with exception of corners) it makes wiping down the forepart much easier.is there a plastic bottom to protect the coroplast?

Good morning!!!!!!!:) .so I don't remember who exactly it was but they had shown me homemade fleece pads .so I wanted a little more info seeing how I currently am using fleece and puppy pads.
(a) is it cheaper?
(b) does it stink
(c)) is it machine washable
(d) How long before it has to be changed
(e) materials needed to make & instructions
(f)) is it better , sanitary , and less work
Thanks in advance I can be assured those who used my current methods can attest to the work & money put into it.i'm REALLY trying to find easier ways.

A. I would say they are cheaper. Unlike puppy pads, fleece pads don't need to be purchased as often.

B. If you are using the right materials and cleaning them regularly they shouldn't stink.

C. Yes they are machine washable.

D. It depends on how messy your pigs are. I spot clean twice a day and change fleece pads every 3 days.

E. One layer of fleece on top (anti-pill fleece is best) and one or two layers of an absorbant material underneath. Most common are Uhaul furniture pads, cotton mattress pads, or other absorbant cloths.

F. I think it's better, my piggy loves fleece and I like the convenience & look of fleece pads.

You can search around for more information about them in the cage bedding section of the forum or see what other piggy owner have to say on YouTube.

Anyone know how to sew the overlapping post of these fleeces? To make it snug as the ones they show on the website?

Thanks everyone, here is one question though, see how puppy pads have that plastic bottom where urine cannot leak to the coroplast (with exception of corners) it makes wiping down the forepart much easier.is there a plastic bottom to protect the coroplast?

You can also get vinyl fabric from a fabric store,too. People use that in cloth diapering. Your pigs might chew that if it on top of your other bedding,though.

i can't afford a sewing machine, so i decide to go ahead and brave hand sewing. it's time consuming, but extremely easier, and a bit soothing, if you like that kind of thing. basically, measure the bottom of the cage, the area you want covered with the bedding. i use u-haul pads, and cut them to that size. then i lay the pad on fleece and cut the fleece about an inch or so bigger. then simply fold the extra fleece edge over the pad and sew. i leave a little extra fleece and use that extra bit to clip it to the corplast sides with binder clips. i'm sure it's confusing to read, but REALLY easy to make! good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.