Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece pads made with Uhaul padding

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've been experimenting with different number of layers of Uhaul padding under my fleece pads to see what works best. I'm sticking with double thickness since I think it's just as effective as triple thickness. I decided to make a fleece pad with Uhaul padding inside instead of the usual cotton batting, mattress pads, towels or polyester batting. I like the way it added some weight to the fleece pad. I just changed their bedding so I'll have to wait and see how it works, but I figured since the Uhaul padding dries faster than my towels did, it might be an acceptable alternative to cotton batting, which is a lot more expensive. My only gripe with the Uhaul padding is how it falls apart. I'm hoping that it will stay intact inside the fleece pads.

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
Great! I have yet to sew some pads. I'm sorry to hear that people are having trouble with the uhaul pads falling apart. I have had my original sets since last October and they still look great. I have since bought one new set that is also still looking great, so it must come in bad batches.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Do you wash them separately or with your fleece? I have pieces that come off every time I wash them. I have holes in some spots now. I have an extra large capacity washer and wash it on the heavy duty, 14 minute cycle. I wash it on full load so there's a lot of water to clean it thoroughly. I wondered if that is why mine fall apart. My laundry always comes out clean and odor free, though.

Great! I have yet to sew some pads. I'm sorry to hear that people are having trouble with the uhaul pads falling apart. I have had my original sets since last October and they still look great. I have since bought one new set that is also still looking great, so it must come in bad batches.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I've used the UHaul pads for several months and they haven't fallen apart at all. I sewed six liners with them and they work pretty well!

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
We are currently in a condo with a small stacked washer/dryer. I wash fleece and uhauls together on occasion, but we have a "piggy laundry basket" on our balcony where I dump piggy towels and stuff all week, so usually I wash once every 2 cage changes and then I was all the like items together. I use a "quick wash" on everything I own, over-washing causes clothes to pill and colors to fade and I'm not that dirty... :) Sometimes if the fleece is particularly nasty I will wash them in a hot cycle, or pre-soak them. Over-drying can also be an issue too, my hubby over-dries laundry all the time and he shrunk one of my uhaul sets.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'll bet that's the reason. My cage is in my dining room so it's really important there's no odor at all. I'm really particular about the bedding being clean at all times so I always do my cage stuff using the heavy duty cycle. I use different settings for our laundry, depending upon what I'm washing. Maybe if I washed it on delicate, it wouldn't fall apart. Maybe I'll try delicate and soak it overnight instead.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.