Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Fleece or Carefresh?

sarahdarby17

Cavy Slave
I used fleece for about a week and my piggies poos were getting stuck in between the coroplast and the fleece, making it smell. I only have two pigs and I went back to carefresh (which i was using before). Is it better to use fleece or carefresh? I loved the fkeece, but it got smelly! The carefresh is great with odor…but I have to get a new bag every week.

I use fleece and love it but I have to change the fleece every 2-3 days so it doesn't smell. Some people only have to change their fleece once a week though. I found carefresh to be really dusty, dirty, and expensive. I think it is whatever you prefer so if you like carefresh then stick with that.

I think the one that is better is the one that you prefer. I don't think either one is necessarily better for the pigs. As for the poos getting stuck, as you said, some people cut their fleece so that it goes up over the sides of the coroplast and that would solve that problem. I tried that once though and couldn't get the fleece down in between the coroplast and the grids, especially since one edge of the cage was against a wall. I use a hand-held vacuum with a built in crevice tool that is pretty good at getting the poos. There are always a few I miss and just get them when I clean the cage. Actually I think it's the pee that smells and not the poos. I guess it just depends on whether you are willing to lay out the money for the carefresh.

I might try fleece someday, but I can't sew or anything, so I'd have to get something pre-made. And all the pre-made ones I've seen are for C&C cages with 6" high walls all around, but we have a 12" high back wall. Carefresh is what we've been using. It's not pretty and the bedding itself has a certain musty smell to it, but it seems to work well enough, and it's easy to clean; we just scoop it all out of the cage into the trash and dump in some more, which takes about 5 minutes total in our 2x4 cage, maybe 10 minutes if we also spray the coroplast with vinegar and water to wipe it down. We do this once a week usually.

Thankyou for all the replies! I think I may try fleece again and have it go over the walls.

I also recommend invensting in a good handvac if you have fleece. I've been loving mine! I still have to sweep any stiff pieces of hay out, but it makes cleaning more convenient. You can get them for 15-40 bucks. Cheap *and* useful!

For fleece to work, the absorbent layer under fleece is very important. Find something that works for you. Some people use 2 - 3 layers of towels under fleece, some use combination of puppy pads and towels, or mattress pads. Many members here will agree that Uhaul furniture pads are the best.

You need something under the fleece such as Newspaper, towel etc... I find old towels work best for me also vaccuming it up daily and changing it every 4-5 days in some case people can go a week without changing it but I change mine every 3 days! :)

I might try fleece someday, but I can't sew or anything, so I'd have to get something pre-made. And all the pre-made ones I've seen are for C&C cages with 6" high walls all around, but we have a 12" high back wall. Carefresh is what we've been using. It's not pretty and the bedding itself has a certain musty smell to it, but it seems to work well enough, and it's easy to clean; we just scoop it all out of the cage into the trash and dump in some more, which takes about 5 minutes total in our 2x4 cage, maybe 10 minutes if we also spray the coroplast with vinegar and water to wipe it down. We do this once a week usually.

I have a taller wall in the back of mine as well.. I sewed a bigger strip and works great.. It is personal preference .. I love fleece and I use uhaul pads underneath.. And no extra trash :) [GuineaPigCages.com] Fleece or Carefresh?

Thanks y'all! The pictures were also helpful! I just need to find something to put under the fleece!

I use Carefresh and love it. I never have any odor problems and can easily find soiled spots when I spot clean daily (I use the white kind). The only thing that's got me strongly considering fleece is the waste and cost.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.