Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece on Sale

• Thread starter HighAltitudePig
  • Start date

jdomans

Cavy Slave
If you ever find a scrub cap for women that doesn't look like a shower cap, let me know the company and store! I brought some caps home from the hospital for the men and will carefully take them apart and use the pieces for a pattern. It has been so many years since I bought a pattern. I went into shock at $15 and I only wanted 2 things out of it.

Oh babygrl you never saw my word in the other thread:

Anastomosis!!

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Ohh that's a cool word.
I was just down in the cafeteria and I saw this nurse wearing the ugliest shower cap looking scrub cap on the face of the earth. It matched her personality. I will keep my eyes out for a nifty looking pattern for you.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Thanks babygrl. I will get over to Wal-Mart just don't know when. If I find a pattern I will let you know. I don't know what McCall's and all just offer the one that is elastic all the way around instead of the nice flat band across the forehead.

HighAltitude!!! Thank you so much for the heads up on the sale. Here is my loot I walked away with:
Fleece; pattern was $2.99/yd and there were some remnants left on the bolt so she sold me the leftover for another 50% off the $2.99. The solid was on sale for $4.99. solid at Wal-Mart is $4.44 and is pastels so I grabbed this. I like to mix my patterns and solid. The 6 ft. section of my cage is patterned fleece and the two sides are solids.
DSCF1845.jpg

Last edited:

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Now I also got this while there. The first is some material to make the guys in my class scrubs caps with. The two patterns on the far right are for my instructor:
DSCF1846.jpg

This is too cute and since I had Audrey with me I had to get it to make her a blanket for her toddler bed here. I also got some flannel for some babies I know and when we went to have this cut, the girl said, "Did you get this from the cozy flannel section?" It was not on sale but she gave it to me for $1.98/yd which is what the other flannel was on sale for!!
DSCF1847.jpg

Great day of shopping. Oh!! My PELL check was waiting for me so we headed straight for the bank and I actually used cash instead of plastic. I am so thrilled.

Last edited:

wvbeetlebug

Cavy Slave
Hi there! I am in need of some new fleece, but I am not certain how much I need. I have a 2x3 cage. Also, do you leave the edges unfinished? How do you keep the ends from rolling up when you wash it. Thanks!

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Run don't walk to Joann! LOL In a nutshell: You measure the length and width of your cage. Go on and write it down. Now fleece normally comes in 60" widths.
Just for the fun of it, lets say the width of your cage is 24"/2ft. (like mine) and you have a length of 48"/4 feet. You would want 5 feet of fleece. Why? To allow for any shrinkage in the dryer. You can literally cut the material in half lengthwise and have two pieces 5 feet by 30" for a 2 ft. by 4 ft. cage!!
For your cage, it is what about 28" wide? 30" would be cutting it too close for comfort and tucking in on the sides. so you would cut the fleece when you bring it home into a piece say 34" wide to allow for tucking in and shrinkage. Maybe even go 36".
I hope I have helped and not caused confusion.
In other words, measure your cage inside and add an extra 10"-12" to the length and that would be what you need for one change. You would bring that home and cut it to the proper width which allows you to tuck in on the sides.

Hurry and go!! LOL.

sorry..no need to put a clean finish on it. It doesn't fray. Unlike knits, it doesn't roll either.

Last edited:

princesspenelop

Cavy Slave
Just want to share, in case anybody's in or traveling to Los Angeles. We now buy all our fleece from L.A. Fashion District in Downtown L.A. We accidentally found a store that sells nothing but fleece when we were touring the Flower Market. They have all kinds of patterns and it's only $2 per yard. We got so excited, but decided to get only 5 yards (couldn't fit more into the luggage) of pawprints pattern. The store we go to is near the corner of Wall Street and 8th Street, but almost all fabric stores in that area have some fleece, all $2 per yard. The all-fleece store seemed to have a very settled price, but at the other store you could try haggling with them, especially if you are interested in other materials also (they tend to lower the price if you buy a lot).
Three months later when I visited my family again, this time I came prepared and brought along a Space Bag, went home with 15 yards of fleece. I make "receiving blankets" with them for foster dogs, but I'll definitely get more when I get guinea pigs.

C&K

Cavy Slave
We now buy all our fleece from L.A. Fashion District in Downtown L.A.

We have a fabric district in Hamilton, ON, on Ottawa Street, great deals to be had, but I have not seen such a deal on fleece! You are very lucky, and that was a great tip!

princesspenelop

Cavy Slave
On the second trip, we bought some more pawprint pattern and then a couple yards of Basset Hound pattern all $2 per yard. A week later, we saw the exact same Basset fabric at Walmart, $6.99 per yard!

C&K

Cavy Slave
Yesterday I was killing time at Walmart, saw the fleece blankets where on sale for $4.00! Down from $5.00 I bought a hot pink patterned one large enough for a 2x4 with musical instraments and script on it! ;)

I was disapointed in this walmarts fabric section, fleece, even with winter patterns was not discounted from original price!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I need to go do some fleece shopping myself. I have several yards of navy blue fleece, but I want something lighter and brighter. When I bought the ivory to line Percy's cage before his neuter, I found a piece that was almost a yard and a half long already cut off the bolt. The woman told me, she didn't feel like trimming it to exactly a yard like I wanted, so she only charged me the $4.44 price for one yard. Percy ended up with 3 pieces to change the smaller "hopital" cage out, and 3 or 4 trimming pieces that are big enough to cuddle him in. Hopefully, I can get a deal like that when I'm buying fleece to fit a 2X6.

kznchik

Cavy Slave
The other day I was browsing in the Wal-Mart fabric section and made a rare discovery of a bolt of cream-colored faux sherpa fleece - perfect for making cozies and cage accessories for the pigs. I asked the lady at the counter if they were regularly stocked with this material but she shook her head and said it was basically hit-or-miss. Despite the beyond reasonable price, I decided against purchasing it; now I'm wishing I hadn't passed up the opportunity. Has anyone else had any luck finding sherpa fleece at Wal-Mart?

twcooke

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for the reminder of adding to the length. I do not sew or mess with fabrics so I had no clue about the shrinking and hadn't considered tucking it under to get it to stay!!! Do you just tuck the length under or both the width and length. BWT, my cage is a 2x4.

twcooke

Cavy Slave
If I go to a fabric store . . . are there different kinds of fleece? Different thicknessess?

jdomans

Cavy Slave
twcooke, I tuck under all four sides and if needed (I have a burrower) I use binder clips here and there.

twcooke

Cavy Slave
Okay, another question. Do I just use a single layer of the fleece or double it? I found some that actually matches our carpet at Walmart for $4.44 a yard. The did have some also for $2.74 but the color was awful!!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Just a single layer. You want it to wick away the moisture, not abosorb it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.