Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece not wicking?

wombats

Cavy Slave
Hello all--I recently ordered 5 yards of fleece with my birthday money (thanks Grandmama), and much to my delight it arrived today! I've been trying to get it to wick for a couple hours now, doing the usual process of washing in hot water with detergent, with NO fabric softener or drier sheets. It's in for it's 5th wash now and yet the solid one is barely wicking and the dinosaur one is partially wicking, but only on one side.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but I'm getting worried it won't wick at all. It's normal blizzard fleece from Joann so I know the type isn't a problem, but is there anything else I can do or does some fleece just take longer than others?

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
I got my fleece to "wick" on the first try using CavieGuy's method:

[video=youtube;PZn2uJWNfUE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZn2uJWNfUE[/video]

wombats

Cavy Slave
Oh that's helpful! If it doesn't wick this time (still in the washer right now) I'll have to try that. Pardon my ignorance, but I've never used bleach before. I thought bleach stains things white, or is that something else? I can't remember, or maybe I'm just mistaken. It doesn't look like it does, but I just wanted to be sure. Only bother is I'm running out of detergent and dishsoap, but I should have enough to wash it at least once, so hopefully that's all I'll need to do!

I'm going to make Bob all sorts of stuff...a tunnel or two, a new snuggle sack with supportive boning, a hidey hut, a fleece forest (his favorite hide), a few pads for under the fleece forest and in the hut, MAYBE a cuddle cup, a hammock, a new hay bag, and who knows what else. I got enough so I can make larger hides with two exits so when he finally gets a friend they won't have to fight over the hides. Or if they end up snuggling (which is unlikely, but possible) there will be enough room for both of them. I might also make another large hide like those cube-like hides I've seen before, but I'm not sure yet. Either way I have a lot planned--I just hope my sewing machine will hold up to it. I'm using 2 layers of uhual lining inside the pads and larger cozies, and I did a little "test strip" and it seems to sew alright but I might have to attach certain things by hand because they won't fit under the pressure foot. That's okay though. Soon Bob will have the most fantastic dinosaur themed cage/floortime area ever!

wombats

Cavy Slave
...yea, it still didn't wick. Good news is we have a fresh bottle of Dawn under the sink along with just enough bleach and detergent. I set it on Hot for two rinses so hopefully this works! Fingers crossed! I'll update when I actually have some things sewn, I'm really excited about this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.