Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece liners . . . up the sides or not?

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Ill hopefully be sewing my first fleece liners tomorrow ~ if my grids appear!!

Just wondered if it would work just as much to get them to fit the bottom of the cage instead of having it go up an over the sides?

I also am adding an expansion to my store bought cage and was thinking of changing that to fleece to keep it all simple ~ do i need to make it any differently? xx

Party Guineas

Cavy Slave
Just in my experience, if I didn't have the fleece going up and over the sides, my pigs will burrow under the fleece liner and make a mess of poo and wee on the coro underneath. They would then like to sit underneath, which gets quite messy. They seem to love it, but I don't think it's best for their lungs and skin (or my sanity)! Some people put bricks or heavier objects to weigh down the fleece instead of making sides, but this doesn't put my pigs off. I'd say it depends on whether you have avid burrowers! :)

And I would guess that the standard fleece liners would work for both, unless there's something incredibly different with the extension?

Paige.Buttons

Cavy Slave
i agree, my piggy decides to burrow then poo and wee everywhere. end up washing it all the time :(
but good luck!

millsma

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've got burrowers too. But I didn't sew liners-- I bought 3 yards per "liner" for a 2x6 cage. That is enough for the fleece to go over the sides, and you can just make it look nice by pushing down the corners. :)

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
More burrowers here! I use mattress pads rather than fleece and change it out every day, so I use newspaper underneath the fabric. I do two layers of padding in the kitchen area, and they love to burrow between the layers. It's so cute to touch the big "Amy bump" under the fabric and hear her annoyed little sounds. I thought about going up the sides and attaching it, but they seem to be having fun and it doesn't harm them, so I just let them burrow.

Jesseehopper

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
you could also add velcro to the sides of your fleece and then put velcro on your coro, that what im doing so my rotton little bunnies dont pull it :p

ThePiggiesGotMe

Cavy Slave
I have a burrower as well, but liners with sides are fantastic and keep her on the top. :) As long as she has plenty of other places to hide and snuggle, I don't feel badly not letting her burrow. It makes my job so much easier. :cheerful:

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
I put my fleece up the sides to keep my burrower out from under the fleece, and then I clip spare pieces of fleece along the sides of the cage so that she *thinks* she's burrowing and getting away with something (you can see by the look on her face that she really does think she's getting away with it, too). If you don't have a burrower (and only one of mine really does it), you don't have to go up over the sides. But once they start burrowing, you get poos in the strangest of places, and it can be very annoying.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.