Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece Issue..

ohiocountrygirl06

Cavy Slave
I built a 2x4 c&c cage. When I bought the materials, I bought fleece for bedding. I just thought that you layed the fleece in the cage. Well, after discovering that's not what happened, I had a mess to clean up because my one guinea pig likes to peel it back and poop a lot there and just to mess it up. :rolleyes: So, how can I get the fleece to stay in place?

Do you have any absorbent layer under fleece? I like to cut my fleece about 3 - 4 inches larger on all sides and I tuck the edges under the layer underneath. I use uhaul pads for the absorbent layer. Many people use towels.

Edit to add: some people like to clip fleece to the edge of coroplast with binder clips.

I use newspaper because I don't have access to a washer 24/7.

Newspaper will smell very quickly. Try puppy pads or incontinence pads.

I only have to wash my uhaul pads and fleece once a week.

I scoop up the poop once a week, but the smell hasn't came until 2 weeks later (which they should be changed any way). I will def try puppy pads. But with those, how would I keep the fleece inside and what exactly are uhaul pads and how much are they, as well as where can I get them?

Could I use a foam pad, put newspaper or puppy liners to line it, and tuck the fleece under it?

Uhaul pads are made by the uhaul moving company, they are made of recycled denim. You can get them online or find a uhaul store and get them there. They are cheap, only about $8.

Here is the link: U-Haul: Moving supplies: Furniture Pad

EDIT: I'm not sure I understand your question of how you would keep the fleece in. How are you doing it now?

Uhaul pads are made by the uhaul moving company, they are made of recycled denim. You can get them online or find a uhaul store and get them there. They are cheap, only about $8.

Here is the link: U-Haul: Moving supplies: Furniture Pad

EDIT: I'm not sure I understand your question of how you would keep the fleece in. How are you doing it now?

Couldn't I buy foam bedding (the toppers) and line that with puppy pads or towels and tuck the fleece under that?

Couldn't I buy foam bedding (the toppers) and line that with puppy pads or towels and tuck the fleece under that?

So, you would have the foam bedding, towels/puppy pads wrapped in fleece and the whole thing would would fit into the bottom of the cage? I think that the only problem with the foam bedding is that the foam bedding would start to smell unless you had something water proof between the towels/puppy pads and the bedding.

Why do you need foam? How will you wash it?

Do a search on uhaul blanket review. I'm typing from my phone, other wise I'd find the link for you.

Why do you need foam? It's usually used on human beds for softness, but the guinea pigs don't need that. It's extremely dangerous for them to eat if they happen to get to it, and would smell to high heaven if it gets peed on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.