Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece Is Shrinking But Still Repelling Moisture! Help!

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
I've washed my coloured fleece 4 times on a 60 degrees centigrade wash, with no fabric softener etc. It is still repelling the moisture but it's shrunk about 1/2-1 inch.
What i am doing wrong? Why won't it absorb moisture? Should I keep washing it?

Does anyone have any ideas? o_O It's a bit frustrating and I don't want to keep washing it over and over again and realise that I've been doing something wrong all along.

Are you sure it's plain fleece? Not Minky fleece, or velour fleece?

I'm not sure, the lady in the shop said it was just 'fleece'. How can you tell what type it is? It cost me £7.50 and the other bit £4 and I will be annoyed if I have to find another type. If it is a different type is there anything I can do?

Any suggestions?

Also one more question: Can I getaway with using 1 layer of fleece and 1 layer of towels or should I use more on the cage?

Keep washing it and drying it. Everytime you wash it, dry it. Do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets. It may just take a few extra washes.

Thanks, useful answers :) Just washing the fleece with added detergent and then white vinegar. I really hope we have the right fleece, as I really like it (it's orange with flowers and ladybirds! :D)

Now I think about it, both fleeces feel different. the white one was extremely soft before I washed it for the first time, but the orange patterned one was a little less soft but in slightly better condition after washing.

Any suggestions?

Also one more question: Can I getaway with using 1 layer of fleece and 1 layer of towels or should I use more on the cage?

How many layers of fleece are you using now? You'll only need 1 layer of fleece, more than that will prevent it from allowing urine to drain through to the absorbent layers underneath.

More than 1 layer of towels will work better. If you only have 1 towel, you could change it more often when it gets wet.

I will most likely use 2 towels and 1 layer of fleece. Thanks

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.