Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece Flippers

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
I got my trial fleece flipper that I ordered from the cages store and it is awesome! I cannot wait to try it out. Putting it together was so simple and, although I won't line my entire cage with them, I will be using them as my pads for under lofts, kitchen area, etc. I just wanted to share in case someone was on the fence about trying them out.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I think they look really awesome and would love to have some in George's cage. I just wish they weren't so expensive. :sad:

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=25470]Aleks[/MENTION] I just bought one to use a prototype to make my own. I don't plan on selling them so I doubt that is breaking any of the laws associated with the patent. At lease I hope not. :)

MissJean

Cavy Slave
My concern would be fit. I have two 2x4 cages that are slightly off by almost an inch thanks to my awful cutting skills.

PipSqueek

Cavy Slave
My concern would be fit. I have two 2x4 cages that are slightly off by almost an inch thanks to my awful cutting skills.

All of our cages are custom to fit a room so they're slightly odd sizes, so we made 'fleece frames'. It's basically just a rectangle of strong, thinnish stick/dowel material which fits inside our fleece lines as if it were a pillow into a pillow case. We started off with them a decent while ago with bamboo lengths cut and pinned together as a tester, but they're now made out of fully welded 8mm curtain rod. We did try something similar to Fleece Flippers a while ago for ourselves but we didn't like how flimsy and light the correx was, even with 6mm stuff. The frames were easy and cheap to make, work perfectly and fit our awkwardly sized/shaped cages. :crazy:

I'd be interested to know how the Flippers work at the 'seams'. The only issue we've found with the frames is that, even though they're squished firmly up against the walls of the cages, it does still get a little messy around the edges because of poops getting stuck there and pee sitting there for a little while.

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=23945]PipSqueek[/MENTION] Do you have photos of your frames? I am interested in maybe trying this idea for my actual cage. With the flippers, I used the coro to slide the u-haul pad in the fleece but then I removed it as I didn't really need the coroplast in there.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I find them intresting too but they are far to expensive for me.

I just sew my own liners !

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
Like I said, I just bought the one to use as a template. I use to sew my own liners using mattress pads but I found that the fleece far outlived the pads and drying time was horrible. I want something that goes together like a liner but all components can be washed and dried separately. More importantly, I needed liners for my piggie patio and under it because they need to be changed daily.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks for the feedback @cfoster1966 .

Regarding pricing, please keep in mind that we are offering free shipping and up to 10% discounts on quantity orders and a 5% social discount. Next week, when you like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/guineapigzone), you can pick up the 5% discount, or a member here can just ask me for the discount.

We'll soon start to offer custom orders for cage sizes that are out of the normal sizing. Hopefully January, but Feb for sure.

We'll also start to offer Fleece Flippers™ for other types of typical cages that are big enough to handle them. And we'll do custom fabric orders as well--as in mixing and matching our in-stock fabrics. But we have to walk before we run and build up our fabric inventory to be able to handle it.

@Pipsqueak , if you want to give more details about your frames, please start a new thread on it. Thanks!

Last edited:

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
A customer sent us a photo of his newly assembled cage with Fleece Flippers, which the piggies love. Permission to share!

New piggy home800

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
I love the food wheel at the back lol

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Looks AMAZING! Almost exactly what I want to do with my cage! I LOVE LOVE LOVE where she put the kitchen area BECAUSE they like the dark spots to eat and pee! This is just playing into their natural instincts! Its great! Looks like 4 fleece flippers, haw? Nice! Maybe the end of next year I'll be able to afford some. Right now I've got WAY to much fleece. I am slowly pitching it as it gets yucky! I am so glad that my fleece problem that we talked about last year morphed into this! Its a great product!

Guinea_lover327
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
What are the dimensions of the flippers?
I'm not going to copy them. I have a slightly off size cage and wonder if I can use them lengthways instead of sideways-if that makes sense.
Thanks!

rdoye225

Cavy Slave
for a 2x4 it is wroughtly 14 wide and 27 inc long. from my adding. that is taking the cage that is 27in by 56 I dived the 4 into 56 and got 14. I was going to make something like the flipper or making pads that I can take one out a time type.

so it should like this you take the with of the cage and dived by how may you want to make.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Our Coroplast is cut to 13.5" x 26.75". Then you have a allow for a little bit of fabric between flippers and/or the wall.

plabol1

Cavy Slave
I love your cage setup. I only have 1 question....is it hard to clean up the kitchen area since it is under your loft? I would like to make my new cage the same way, but I'm afraid it would be a pain to keep clean.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Even though some people like 2x2 grid lofts, I would not use them. I think those are hard to clean under. But a 1x2 loft? No problem. Our kitchens are designed to just pull it out. Simple.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
Even though some people like 2x2 grid lofts, I would not use them. I think those are hard to clean under. But a 1x2 loft? No problem. Our kitchens are designed to just pull it out. Simple.

Depends how the lofts are built. I have a base of 2x4, and two lofts of 2x2 built as the base were 2x6. So that leaves you with enough space to move around and clean as only half of the loft is staying on the base. It would be hard if the loft was 2x2 on top of the 2x4. So I think the fleece flipper will work great.
Let me attach a photo. I am not very good explaining things.

20121119 155056

DrKappy

Cavy Slave
Hello - I see CavySpirit uploaded our original picture, but I wanted to share our newest update. We just got the loft fleece flippers and the squeakers really like it. I had to take off the loft for the past month because they were making too much of a mess, but now that they have it back since we have fleece flippers are in place - they can't stop running up and down the loft.

My first post here - but I have enjoyed reading the wealth of information on this site that helped our family prepare for our first gp's.

I also custom built the table to hold the cage - I think it turned out awesome!

Kappy

Gp3 Gp1 Gp2

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.