Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece blanket ok?

LittlePiggie

Cavy Slave
I have decided to be adventurous with my piggie. I bought a fleece blanket, and my piggie seems to like it, better than her pine bedding. I was thinking of using that as her bedding, instead of the pine, would that be ok? Put newspaper under the blanket, and the blanket on top of that. The edges stick out of the cage, so she is in no danger of eating a thread. Even though it is a blanket, not offically a guinea fleece, is it ok to use?

Fleece blankets are fine to use, most people do. I would get rid of the newspaper under the fleece though and try towels or uhaul pads, as they are more absorbent.

I have alwayed used fleece as bedding first newspapers then a towel then on top of all the fleece..

I have alwayed used fleece as bedding first newspapers then a towel then on top of all the fleece..

Newspaper isn't necessary, it might actually make the cage stink faster if it gets wet. I only use newspaper under shavings, because it is easy to roll up. I also use newspaper in litter boxes and change them everyday.

Newspaper does nothing! It absorbs, but it stays wet -- that is a breeding ground for bacteria if not changed frequently. When it's wet, it causes more odor, too. I would stick to towels or UHaul blankets under fleece too.

The main thing with fleece is to wash it and dry it three times on hot settings to strip it of its waterproof coating. The fleece is supposed to wick the urine down to the absorbent material underneath the fleece, and it can't do that job if the fleece isn't properly prepared.

Good luck!

Never use newspaper! I use towels, and once and a while a teensy bit of urine gets through! It stinks horribly and I have to change the bedding immediately! I don't have a hot option on my washer, since my house used to be apartments. (VERY long story) Does anybody have an idea for anybody else without a hot option? Personally, I don't think that it really matters, but I could be wrong.

I sometime use baking soda and vinagar when using cold water to get it the smell out..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.