Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece Bedding Questions!

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
I am looking into switching to fleece! I am currently using Megazorb, a twice dust-extracted, absorbent, soft bedding. It's a little expensive, but it is good stuff.

I would like to find a cheaper alternative, and have been really drawn towards the fleece.

As my guinea pigs are living in a hutch at the moment (I am working on getting them out of the shed and indoors though!) I want to know would it be possible to use the fleece in there, if so how would I tuck it or stick it to make it flat?
Where should I buy the fleeces in the UK? I've heard Primark is a good one.
How should I put it in the cage? A layer of newspaper underneath then a single fleece, or towels underneath? Which method works best for you?
How many fleeces should I buy?
How should I wash it? I hear putting it in an old pillow case and in with the regular washing works.

Lastly, in attempt to get my mum to try them out, I'd like to know what are the pros and cons of this bedding? Please list :)
THANKS!

I dunno where to get it, but:

You want the exact amount of Fleece and 2 towels. DON'T use newspaper. It gets icky. I use U-Haul pad and Fleece.

Buy 1 Fleece if you can wash them every week, if not get more than 1 so you can replace them and not necessarily have to clean them right then.

Wash it and dry it 3 times, no fabric detergent, and on the hottest heat. Don't put it in a pillowcase.

Pros: Less smelly, no scooping, easy to clean, cheap

Cons: You have to wash and dry 3 times, and if you use towels, you may have to dry twice

You'll only have to wash and dry the fleece 3 times before the first use, not every time. Not knowing what your hutch looks like I can't give you any advice as to how it would work inside of it, but I highly suggest getting the pigs inside to avoid anything bad happening to them.

I use fleece over towels and/or uhaul blankets. In my opinion, I don't notice a difference between towels and uhaul blankets. I use 2 layers of towels/uhaul blankets and 1 layer of fleece. I scoop poos everyday and completly change out the cage once a week. I would suggest getting 2 sets of fleece and 2 sets of towels/uhaul blankets to make cage changes easier (one in the wash, one in the cage). I use vinegar in the wash with the detergant because it works as a natural disenfectant and fabric softner. Dry without dryer sheets. I use tennis balls in the drier to avoid static cling.

Using fleece is, in the long run, MUCH cheaper than bedding that you have to purchase weekly or monthly. If you're scooping poos everyday, the smell is kept to a minimum. If you can add a seperate "kitchen" area, this will help to contain urine and poos in one area (or a good majority of it). My girls tend to go to the bathroom mostly while they eat so having a kitchen that I change out every other day keeps their feet clean and the smell way down.

I'm not sure about the UK, but here in the US all fabric stores and big box stores (Walmart, Target, etc) sells fleece fabric. You can also look into resale shops that sell bedding and see if you can find used fleece blankets, as these will work too. A lot of people thta have smaller cages use premade fleece blankets. Fabric stores are good if you have a large cage because you can get any size you need. My cage needs almost 4 yards of fleece so it was better for my to get one continuus piece of fleece from a fabric store. I'm sure someone will chime in that lives closer to you.

Last edited:
You'll only have to wash and dry the fleece 3 times before the first use, not every time. Not knowing what your hutch looks like I can't give you any advice as to how it would work inside of it, but I highly suggest getting the pigs inside to avoid anything bad happening to them.

I think you misunderstood me.

You need to wash and dry it 3x before you start using it. Then, you have to wash it every time you clean the cage 1x.

Thanks for thorough advice! Any extra tips are welcome :)
How would I get the fleece to stay in one place without scrunching up? Knowing my piggies they would do this in a matter of a couple of days.

By a kitchen area in the C&C do you mean having the water bottles, food dishes and hay rack in one place? I have been advised to keep hay covered (such as half a box over it) to let the piggies in but help prevent my mum's allergies. IF they let me have the pigs indoors that is.

Or if I get the C&C I could have the loft area as the kitchen? :)

Yes, you could do a loft area on a C&C cage as a kitchen or you can use an extra piece of coroplast or a cat litter box as a kitchen area. As far as your mom's allergies, I'm not sure what can be done about that other than allergy medication. I really hope you can bring them in the house. Could you keep them in an area that your mom won't come into contact with them? If you do bring them in and do use fleece, I would make sure you get all the hay off the fleece and wash it seperate from everything else so that hay doesn't get on to anything your mom might come into contact with.

Yes, you could do a loft area on a C&C cage as a kitchen or you can use an extra piece of coroplast or a cat litter box as a kitchen area. As far as your mom's allergies, I'm not sure what can be done about that other than allergy medication. I really hope you can bring them in the house. Could you keep them in an area that your mom won't come into contact with them? If you do bring them in and do use fleece, I would make sure you get all the hay off the fleece and wash it seperate from everything else so that hay doesn't get on to anything your mom might come into contact with.
We have 3 small bedrooms for 5 people which we couldn't use as my mum goes in them fairly often, and I have been told to try and stay away from hay too by my doctor. The landing is too narrow, the bathroom couldn't be used, the space in the hall is now used by the dog basket, the kitchen temps will fluctuate too much as dinner is cooked and that leaves the living room, where my mum goes in fairly often. I have worked out a space where a 2x3 or 2x4 C&C cage could go in there.
About the fleece - will it be more prone to getting hay stuck to it even with a hay rack? If so would the Megazorb I use be better?

About the fleece - will it be more prone to getting hay stuck to it even with a hay rack? If so would the Megazorb I use be better?
Yes, hay can stick to fleece. Unlike some people who prefer using fleece in the whole cage, I prefer NOT to use fleece in the hay area. You can use megazorb in the hay area. If you are lucky, your pigs might potty train themselves. Since they are used to megazorb, keep using megazorb in the kitchen area.

Why is it that fleece has to be washed and dried 3 times before first use?
Is it okay to let it dry naturally as we don't have a tumble dryer?
Should I double up the fleece?
How should the towels and fleece be put in the cage?

If I get the C&C I shall make an upper level and put Megazorb in it, and use as a hay and dining area. I will make a box out of wood to minimise my mum's exposure to hay.

If you go buy fleece make sure you look in the scrap/clearance section if there is one! I got 3.5 meters of fleece for 20$ instead of the regular priced 20$ per meter. I bought fleece for the pigs I will be getting and I'm SURE it is a much better alternative to other beddings. I've used carefresh (the paper one) before for my hamster, and it was messy and it smelt really bad. I think fleece will be much better.

I've used Carefresh before, and I actually don't know why everybody thinks it's so soft. I found wood shavings softer, and then tried Megazorb afterwards and it was even softer and absorbent. Overall my favourite disposable bedding is Megazorb.

Why is it that fleece has to be washed and dried 3 times before first use?
Is it okay to let it dry naturally as we don't have a tumble dryer?
Should I double up the fleece?
How should the towels and fleece be put in the cage?

If I get the C&C I shall make an upper level and put Megazorb in it, and use as a hay and dining area. I will make a box out of wood to minimise my mum's exposure to hay.

The fleece should be washed/dried 3x first to pre-shrink it, as well as to allow it to whisk any wetness away to the layer below. I believe one layer of fleece should be enough - though someone more knowledgeable should probably answer the rest of your Q's. Going from what I've picked up in threads so far. :)

Don't mean to interject, but I had a similar question I wanted to add in - does the U-haul padding need to go through the wash/dry process as well? I hadn't seen it mentioned.

Don't mean to interject, but I had a similar question I wanted to add in - does the U-haul padding need to go through the wash/dry process as well? I hadn't seen it mentioned.

The U-haul padding should be washed/dried at least once or twice but for a different reason. It shrinks noticeably so you need to let it shrink before you cut it to size. I didn't notice the fleece shrinking but it needs to be washed so it can wick the moisture.

The U-haul padding should be washed/dried at least once or twice but for a different reason. It shrinks noticeably so you need to let it shrink before you cut it to size. I didn't notice the fleece shrinking but it needs to be washed so it can wick the moisture.

Thanks! I figured it was for the shrinking, I just wasn't sure how much attention the padding needed. I have trouble with the fleece I've bought - sometimes it shrinks a small amount, sometimes not at all. Of course, I have a dryer that has two settings: Light heat and BURNING. :D

Ahh that makes sense, thanks

do you just use regular fleece? I haven't gotten any pigs yet, but ive got a cage picked out it 1x3 c&c but it has 3 levels as i don't have a lot of space but i need room for 2 piggies at the minimum. I thought id have one level with hay & maybe fleece on the other 2? It my understanding that the 3 levels at 1x3 is over 1500sq ft

@Mom_of 3
Are you sure you can't expand outwards to make it a 2x3 cage? 1x3 is very small and the ramp will take away even more cage space. It's just something to consider.

If you are talking about 1 by 3 grids, then the average grid you will buy is 14" (well that's the size I've seen most grids are online), and 12" is 1 foot. 14x3 is 42", meaning the long side of your cage is going to be 3 and a half foot long, and the short side is going to be just over a foot long, which is about 4sq ft of cage space, without including where the ramps are going. That's even smaller than my hutch!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.